Excessive water drinking-possibly tumor/cancer

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my 7.5 year old male cat to vet last week because of excessive water consumption. Vet checked him out real good, ran blood test and said not a diabetic or kidney issues. The very next day a spot appeared above his right eye and I thought it was possibly ringworms. See attached pictures. Returned to the vet today and that was ruled out, she checked him out and gave him 2 injections. A long lasting steroid and Convenia antibiotic injections. Said it could be a tumor / cancer and if it doesn't clear up in a few day to bring him back in early next week and she will surgically remove it. Have been reading that if a cat does all of a sudden start drinking a lot of water that it cold be a sign of cancer.
Other than that he does appear otherwise normal and eating good as usual. He does go outside but was advised to keep him in until the problem is solved.

Attachments

SundaesPerson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did they test for Hyperthyroidism as well? Excessive water consumption can also be a sign of HT.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did they test for Hyperthyroidism as well? Excessive water consumption can also be a sign of HT.
I'm not exactly sure, they did a complete blood test including urinalysis with no major issues noted. I will bring this issue up next visit. Thanks

SundaesPerson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How's his weight? Have you noticed any changes in his appearance? Will he let you touch the spot on his on his head? It looks more like a wound than a mass / tumor, but maybe others can help with identifying what it could be.

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How's his weight? Have you noticed any changes in his appearance? Will he let you touch the spot on his on his head? It looks more like a wound than a mass / tumor, but maybe others can help with identifying what it could be.
He weighs 14.5 pounds and lost .5 pound since his vaccines 2 months ago. However he's been on a diet so that could be why. No real noticeable changes in appearance. He will let me touch the area.
3 additional pictures attached
1- Taken at vets office 8 days ago, no sign of wound or whatever on his face. The vet also did a thorough check of his skin/coat.
2- Taken 4 days after vet visit
3- Taken 8 days after vet visit.

I also thought perhaps it was a wound of sorts and was surprised when the vet mentioned that it looked like a tumor. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how this area responds in a few days by giving the meds a chance to work.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Convenia is highly effective on skin conditions which is why your vet may have said that if it does not work that this may be something else. Having said that, this would be very fast for a tumor to appear and spread so quickly.

SundaesPerson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should add, that while HT isn't typically seen in cats his age, it's not impossible and thus wouldn't hurt to ask about a test, just to be safe.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he scratching at the site over his eye or bothering it in any way?

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he scratching at the site over his eye or bothering it in any way?
At times he does squint his eye like something is in it but he never scratches the area. Vet did check but didn't see anything. Other than that it bothers me more than it appears to bother him. Vet said should see some improvement in 3 days. So if no improvement in a couple of days will take him back to vet and see what the next step would be.
Thanks to everyone.....

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Returned my cat to the vet today for a follow up visit. She was happy with the area as it is no longer a raised bump. It's flat and crusty but does seem to be a little bigger. She instructed me to apply Neosporin to the area twice a day.
Reading online several sites are against using it on cats:

1) "Although Neosporin is very safe for use in humans, it can present significant health risks when used in cats. While you may hear reports of cat owners who have used this medication in their cats without incident, life-threatening problems can occur."

2)Johnson & Johnson, the manufacturer of Neosporin, does not recommend using it on cats.1 Although it contains useful antibiotics, Neosporin can give cats itchy skin or may trigger an allergic reaction.2 Cats also tend to lick their wounds, which could cause them to ingest Neosporin and suffer additional side effects, including:2
It's above his eye and he can't lick it off.

Thanks

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Neosporin, used as neomycin, is in a lot of animal products like EnteDerm which I use on cats as needed. It is always better if they cannot lick it off which it seems like your boy cannot. Do not use any OTC antibiotics on a cat that contain the pain reliever ingredient.