Ear Mites

DarlaSue10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here, so I'm not real sure if I'm posting this in the correct place?
I've rescued 2 beautiful cats approximately 6 months ago that were living in a very poor environment. They were kept locked up in a very small bedroom, with not even a cracked window for fresh air. Their litter box was full, and the odor was horrific! When I asked if I could see her cats, she hesitated, but then allowed me in. They had no water, and very little space to move around. I was absolutely mortified, and could not make myself leave them there like that! While she and I were in the room, she sprayed air freshener, which left a huge flowery smell, and I could tell that the cats were affected by it. They squinted their poor little eyes, and looked so pathetic while trying to breathe. When she opened the door to the bedroom for us to leave, she reached around with her arm, spray in hand, and sprayed a whole lot more in the room! The whole time we were in there she begged me not to tell anyone. I was in shock at the whole experience. I was also informed that the female had been declawed when she was younger. I've never, ever done that to any of my past fur babies, and was so saddened to hear this. Mutilation is all I could think of when she told me this! When I got home I talked to my boyfriend, and we decided to go back and rescue them. She handed them over with no problem.
So, my reason for writing this today is because I've noticed that they both are scratching their ears constantly. Unfortunately, I'm currently unemployed, and my boyfriend is on unemployment right now. So a visit to a vet is out of the question. I believe they have ear mites, and was wondering if this Stronghold Plus is safe enough for an elderly cat. The female is approximately 14 years old. I'm not sure how old the male is. She's very delicate, and sweet so I don't want to do give her anything that might harm her or make her sick. One good thing is that she told me that they both have had recent shots, which was around when Covid first started. I'm just at a loss as what to do at this point?
If anyone can give me some idea just how potent this Stronghold Plus is, I would greatly appreciate any information you have for me to be able to make a decision.
Thank you so much, in advance!!
Darla

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you here. I am glad that you were able to rescue these cats! Bravo to you!

First off, I will address the declawing - I've had three cats that were front-pawed declawed. None of them suffered from it, although I know it can be troublesome for some. That is just something, that when you have the financial resources can be looked at from a potential arthritic condition that can be brought on by declawing, such as x-rays to see if there is any arthritis. There are supplements that can help with arthritis - something to consider down the road.

Secondly, you can try to treat ear mites on your own, but you kind of need to know that is what you are dealing with. I am including a link below that might help. I would not use any of the flea treatments on an older cat, until you know more about her overall health, and if you can treat without them. In most cases, it will take more than a topical treatment to get rid of them anyway.
Ear Mites in Cats: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - Cats.com

You also need to get proof, if you can, from the previous owner about their shots, and anything else she has. If not that, find out where this care has been done and reach out to them for records. The previous owner may have to "OK" the release of their records. Which leads me to the next issue, getting yourselves recognized as the current owners.

Kenny_T

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here, so I'm not real sure if I'm posting this in the correct place?
I've rescued 2 beautiful cats approximately 6 months ago that were living in a very poor environment. They were kept locked up in a very small bedroom, with not even a cracked window for fresh air. Their litter box was full, and the odor was horrific! When I asked if I could see her cats, she hesitated, but then allowed me in. They had no water, and very little space to move around. I was absolutely mortified, and could not make myself leave them there like that! While she and I were in the room, she sprayed air freshener, which left a huge flowery smell, and I could tell that the cats were affected by it. They squinted their poor little eyes, and looked so pathetic while trying to breathe. When she opened the door to the bedroom for us to leave, she reached around with her arm, spray in hand, and sprayed a whole lot more in the room! The whole time we were in there she begged me not to tell anyone. I was in shock at the whole experience. I was also informed that the female had been declawed when she was younger. I've never, ever done that to any of my past fur babies, and was so saddened to hear this. Mutilation is all I could think of when she told me this! When I got home I talked to my boyfriend, and we decided to go back and rescue them. She handed them over with no problem.
So, my reason for writing this today is because I've noticed that they both are scratching their ears constantly. Unfortunately, I'm currently unemployed, and my boyfriend is on unemployment right now. So a visit to a vet is out of the question. I believe they have ear mites, and was wondering if this Stronghold Plus is safe enough for an elderly cat. The female is approximately 14 years old. I'm not sure how old the male is. She's very delicate, and sweet so I don't want to do give her anything that might harm her or make her sick. One good thing is that she told me that they both have had recent shots, which was around when Covid first started. I'm just at a loss as what to do at this point?
If anyone can give me some idea just how potent this Stronghold Plus is, I would greatly appreciate any information you have for me to be able to make a decision.
Thank you so much, in advance!!
Darla
I do not know of Stronghold Plus but i had to thank you for the heroic thing you have done, their lives are already 1000 times better. God bless you and your boyfriend. Please post a pic of the cuties when you can. Don't worry someone here will help you.
Kenny

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I may be muddying the water here, but I think that Stronghold Plus is not sold in the USA, but is sold in foreign countries and Canada. You do not need to tell us where you live as it has nothing to do with your question.

When I searched up the ingredients, it appears that it is the same as Revolution Plus...selamectin and sarolaner. Many people use this with no problem, but the second ingredient can cause neurological issues. Having said that, I know of no vets near me who are carrying the older formulation of Revolution, only the Plus. The older product has to be ordered by prescription from a place like Chewy.

Is the older cat in good health otherwise, or does she appear debilitated?

You are extremely kind to have rescued them from that horrible life.