DSH/DLH - What are they?

lovemytrent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off, my apologies if this is in the wrong section. I was uncertain which part of the forum to put this question in, so I came over here.

Now, not long ago I was not aware that there were such thing as cat breeds. I just knew the black cats, the white cats, the calico cats, the tabby cats, etc. Now I know there are such things as cat breeds, and cats of undetermined "pedigree" are classified as "Domestic short hairs" or "Domestic long hairs".

Is that the term used to describe "mixed breed" cats? Or is that an actual breed of cat in itself? Suppose I have a Maine Coon mix... would that cat be a domestic long hair, as well as a Maine Coon Mix?

Just trying to learn

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mot cats are not "mixed breeds" like dogs are. Almost all dogs (except pariah-type street dogs from areas where deliberate breeding is not the norm) have some kind of identifiable breed in them. On the other hand, cats is cats

So, yeah, a cat that is not a registered purebred is simply a "domestic" ("moggie" in some places...I think I like that better
). If you had a cat that was half Maine Coon and half non-pedigree, then you could call it a "Maine Coon mix" or a "domestic longhair". Either one would be accurate. Because without registration with a purebred cat registry to prove the cat is purebred, a cat is just a cat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domestic short/long hair is the term used for unknown or mixed breed cats (no pedigrees). If you have a cat that you know a parent is a breed (Persian, Siamese, Maine Coon) then you could call it a "Persian mix" or "Maine Coon mix".

Sometimes a cat looks a lot like a purebred but there is no way to know if that breed really is in there. For example; many people assume that a tail-less cat is a "Manx" or a pointed cat is a "Siamese". Its usually not. It should be referred to as a "pointed" domestic shorthair and not a Siamese or Siamese mix unless you know for sure one of the parents was a purebred Siamese.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemytrent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to both of you - I really need to start learning more about cats in general, and was right in thinking this place would be a good place to start.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem. Been showing both HHP's and purebreds and am pretty good with color questions, breed, etc.
Many of us in here are.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing to keep in mind is that if a cat looks similar to a specific breed, it might just be that the cat's lineage is similar to that of cats of that breed. For example Maine Coons were a natural breed which started in Maine with domestic non-purebred cats. Also some newer breeds allow outcrosses to domestics, or did in the recent past.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemytrent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks - didn't know that about Maine Coons. I was surprised by the number of cats on Craigslist and even in shelters being advertised as Maine Coons, Persians, etc. Even with MY eye, I can see that it's doubtful those cats are indeed "purebred Maine Coons". If that were true, then every other longhaired tabby cat I see is a Maine Coon.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apprently they can get adopted faster if labled as a breed, I feel it's wrong to lie to potential adopters when the cat is a domestic, when there are no papers you cannot say it's a certain breed.

Nothing wrong with owning a domestic, no need to label them as something they are probably not.

Also, MC's come in all colours/patterns not just tabby

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Also, MC's come in all colours/patterns not just tabby

Roxy the black Maine Coon says yep, we sure can!

Although most people tend to think of "Maine Coons" as tabby cats, so the longhaired tabbies tend to get labeled as "Maine Coon mix" even though they often are just a tabby DLH...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Apprently they can get adopted faster if labled as a breed, I feel it's wrong to lie to potential adopters when the cat is a domestic, when there are no papers you cannot say it's a certain breed.
Yeah. It would be more correct to say "of russian blue type" or " of Maine coon type" or something like that.

Although I myself dont think anyone feels cheated, as long as the price is the same as for common moggies, and nobody says it was a real purebreed but without papers.
Besides, "everyone" knows this is the matter of speaking, the usual, for shelter and rescue cats. It is a convention of sorts.

I myself for example dont mind if some poor homeless blue cat lends for a short while the label of a Russian Blue, and gets a home. If this is the way to help some unlucky cousin getting a home, so be it.

I dont see these as rivals to "my descendants", ie the descendants to our Russian Blue boys.
These who wants a true russian blue will anyway contact a good breeder and pay the full price.

Although these "russian blue" from shelters may be rivals for the irresponsible "mills breeders". Which is of course only a good thing.
Much better to save a look alike cat from a shelter, then pay money for a mill manufactured look alike cat.