dr elseys litter

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi! i started using dr elseys litter about a month ago and i was wondering if the shiny little pieces in it are normal. i’ve never had this in other litters before! i do love the litter but just wanted to make sure!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are several different products from Dr. Elsey. Each one will, likely, have different ingredients.

We use Dr. Elsey's Ultra. It looks like ordinary cat litter to me. Which one are you using?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

franklinsmother

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume that would be the "Ultra" litter. It's the same kind that we use. I don't see any shiny pieces in the stuff we have but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.

Cat litter is made from Bentonite clay. It's mined from quarries in much the same way as coal or other minerals. It's possible that things like quartz get scooped up in the process. It would be expensive and time consuming to sift all of that stuff out, especially when the it is only going to be used for something as mundane as cat litter.

If the Bentonite was intended to be used to make cosmetics or if it was used for industrial purposes it would have to be purified but if it is only used as cat litter, after which it will be thrown away, the time and expense of purifying it would be a waste. Most cat owners wouldn't want to pay the extra expense for something that their cats are just going to take a dump in, anyhow.

Long story, short, I wouldn't worry about it. :)