Does my kitten look like he has a slight bow leg?

Thunderfoot018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my kitten a few days ago, he was orphaned by his mom and my friend found him and asked me if I could take him, he is between 5-8 weeks old, and I noticed he walks a little weird on one of his legs and sometimes it sinks a little to the side as he walks, he doesn’t let it stop him and I don’t even think he notices, it worries me, there is an obvious bump of the joint when feeling that front leg compared to the normal leg, this morning I got him pet insurance to make his medical visits easier on me as my 18th birthday was just 2 days ago, I’m not sure if I should be concerned, I’m unsure if he is bow legged, has lameness of that limb, or is just growing, either way I would appreciate some advice. I’m going to be attaching photos, in the last photo of him standing I caught what happens occasionally when he walks just in time, he can 100% walk normal but every once in a while that happens and causes him to lose just a little bit of balance.
IMG_4262.jpeg
IMG_4263.jpeg
IMG_4202.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pretty kitty! That is a very young kitten if he is really only 5-8 weeks old. Nonetheless, I presume you are going to take him to a vet for a full vetting, including vaccinations. At that time, you can ask the vet what they think. They could do a simple x-ray on that leg to see if there are any anomalies. That would be what I would do.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just my personal opinion/thoughts as i have never experienced this first hand and I do not have any veterinary experience.. also someone else may come along and have a different opinion or maybe even been through something similar.
That being said It's really hard to tell in the 1st two pictures but the 3rd one it does seem like there is just something a little off. I would honestly suggest taking him to the vet.
I would do this sooner than later because if it is something that needs a little stabilization or some sort of treatment, the sooner this happens the better the outcome. Plus a vet visit work out all the way around you can get his shots a check up and dewormed all in the same visit.
Before the vet visit i would try to get more pictures and videos of him walking this way you can show the vet. This is incase it is a good day for him because you said the 3rd picture only happens occasionally. This way you can show the vet exactly what your concerns are. If when you take him in and they say it is fine then at least you know for sure and you can rest easy.
Please keep us posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thunderfoot018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pretty kitty! That is a very young kitten if he is really only 5-8 weeks old. Nonetheless, I presume you are going to take him to a vet for a full vetting, including vaccinations. At that time, you can ask the vet what they think. They could do a simple x-ray on that leg to see if there are any anomalies. That would be what I would do.
I talked to an online vet that works for chewy, I am planning on scheduling an appointment for Tuesday for a full work up, I just turned 18 the other day and today I also got him pet insurance that is going to kick in tomorrow, the vet I talked to on the phone said that with the info I provided he was likely between 2-3 months old, he currently weighs 1.2 pounds

Thunderfoot018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is just my personal opinion/thoughts as i have never experienced this first hand and I do not have any veterinary experience.. also someone else may come along and have a different opinion or maybe even been through something similar.
That being said It's really hard to tell in the 1st two pictures but the 3rd one it does seem like there is just something a little off. I would honestly suggest taking him to the vet.
I would do this sooner than later because if it is something that needs a little stabilization or some sort of treatment, the sooner this happens the better the outcome. Plus a vet visit work out all the way around you can get his shots a check up and dewormed all in the same visit.
Before the vet visit i would try to get more pictures and videos of him walking this way you can show the vet. This is incase it is a good day for him because you said the 3rd picture only happens occasionally. This way you can show the vet exactly what your concerns are. If when you take him in and they say it is fine then at least you know for sure and you can rest easy.
Please keep us posted
Planning an appointment for Tuesday, I showed many photos to an online 24/7 vet, and she had many good recommendations for me and gave me many things to bring up at the appointment to make sure he is receiving the best care

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thunderfoot018 Thunderfoot018 that is awesome. I'm glad you were able to talk to an actual vet and they could guide you through this process. I still do recommend trying to get a video of him walking. It may take a few videos before you catch it on film.. just incase it doesn't happen while you are at the vet with him.i think a vet seeing exactly what happens will help too.

Thunderfoot018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thunderfoot018 Thunderfoot018 that is awesome. I'm glad you were able to talk to an actual vet and they could guide you through this process. I still do recommend trying to get a video of him walking. It may take a few videos before you catch it on film.. just incase it doesn't happen while you are at the vet with him.i think a vet seeing exactly what happens will help too.
This was the result of that chat, so when I take my kitten in I can show them so they can check it out further
IMG_4265.png

Thunderfoot018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I requested an appointment with the vet we have always used for all of our pets and still take our other 2 cats to, they finally responded to my appointment request and told me they aren’t taking any new clients, which I think is bs since we have gone to them for the past 6 years, but if they don’t want to take care of my cat then so be it, I will find someone who will.

Attachments

Thunderfoot018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got him an appointment for tomorrow at 2:30 at our local pet hospital, they may not be our regular vet but if they won’t take him and the local one did I’m happy, they said they would take a look at his leg and get him his vaccinations, I will update them

Thunderfoot018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got back from the kittens appointment, they were not worried about the leg and said he most likely caught it in something as a little baby that caused his leg to be like this, he did not give me much insight to whether it would stay like this or not but the vet was not concerned, he was given his first vaccine and has to go back in 3 weeks for the booster, he was given a deworming medicine that I have to give him 1/4 CC of everyday aswell as a vitamin paste to give him daily, they estimated that he is 8 weeks and 6 days old, other than that they said he seems to be in perfect shape

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great news! I guess if his gait/movement is fine and seems happy/healthy otherwise, then... yay! Don't forget to set up his neuter appt! 🙂