Does my kitten have worms?

Souleater66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is about 5 months old. I don't know if its because I have been inconsistent with their food like switching food brands or stopping wet food or if its because he has worms. My kitten has been having diarrhea and blood in his stool. Today I started feeding him dry and wet food because before i did that and he was fine. His gums look good and he eats a lot and drinks water fine. My other cat the tuxedo also eats and drinks normally.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do any of your pets have outdoor access?
Have they been checked over by a vet yet?

If they go outside at all then they most likely do have worms and possibly fleas too. If you let any of the pets in your home go outside you need to treat all of them for fleas and worms regularly, as it's really easy for one animal to pick them up and pass them on to the others.

I recommend you take them for a vet check, even if the other cat doesn't have any symptoms. A stool sample will determine what kind of worms they've picked up and this can easily be treated.

Also, at 5 months old your kitten should have had both sets of vaccinations by now and will soon need to be spayed or neutered. You should make an appointment to get all of that done when you visit the vet.

Good luck, let us know how everything goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Souleater66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do any of your pets have outdoor access?
Have they been checked over by a vet yet?

If they go outside at all then they most likely do have worms and possibly fleas too. If you let any of the pets in your home go outside you need to treat all of them for fleas and worms regularly, as it's really easy for one animal to pick them up and pass them on to the others.

I recommend you take them for a vet check, even if the other cat doesn't have any symptoms. A stool sample will determine what kind of worms they've picked up and this can easily be treated.

Also, at 5 months old your kitten should have had both sets of vaccinations by now and will soon need to be spayed or neutered. You should make an appointment to get all of that done when you visit the vet.

Good luck, let us know how everything goes.
Neither of my cats are outdoor the kitten got flea topical treatment at the vet in july and my adult cat has a flea collar. The kitten was checked at the vet and she said his heart sounded good and it didnt seem to have any parasites or fleas. This has only started recently and ive had the kitten since July and the adult cat since March. I was feeding them dry food in the day and wet food at night and he had no runny poops or blood in his stool but i recently just switched to just dry but today went back to wet and dry to see if it helps. My cats have a sensitive tummy with certian foods. I gave them meow mix once and they were throwing up a lot once i stopped feeding them that the vomiting stopped. Now i feed them Purina sensitive stomach dry food and Purina friskies wet food

Oh also they both have high energy they're always running around and playing they don't seem to be showing any sign of illness and i haven't seen any signs of worms in their poop. Which I why I believe this could be a food issue over than worms

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I could definitely be changing up their food,especially if they have sensitive tummies. since you just switched it up again today, I would wait a few days and see what happens. But if you see any drastic change in his behavior, eating habits, or really anything else, time for a vet visit. Do make sure he's getting plenty of water since diarrhea can be dehydrating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Souleater66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah thats what I was planning on doing they both have high energy and the water bowls are never empty. Thank you for the advice!