Does going to the vet put them at risk for URI?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about this past sickness that Maggie had. She had been to the vet a couple weeks before for a parasite issue I had with all 4 of mine. I know this has happend with Jordan before, but he has a history of feline herpes. Obviously this does not mean I think anyone should stop taking them to the vet. I'm just curious if they could be picking something up while at the vet, or maybe the stress of being at the vet is bringing something out that is already in their system. If this is the case are there ways to help reduce the likely hood of them getting sick. Just looking for opinons, and experiences.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Meeko got her high fever and Cold she had gone to the Vet a few weeks before for blood tests. She then gave it to Coco. Coco is on Antiibiotics for a Uri now.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure they could pick something up at the vets office - but what can you do? Unless you have a vet who makes house calls (we do, but it's way more expensive).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah alot of germs and things float around clinics but unless you get a house call there is not much you can do ... kind like us going to the drs office when most are sick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just have suspected for a while that this was the case. Like I said it's not like you can stop taking them all together. I was just supprised at how sick Maggie got.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My little herpes cat, Hannah, always gets the sniffles after going to the vet. This time, though, she got a full blown URI and is now on her 3rd round of antibiotics and has had a second shot of antibiotics.

My other kitty, Callie, who's at least 12 has to go to the vet at least every 6 months for lab work to check her kidney function. The past several times we've been, she's gotten an URI approx. 2 weeks after going to the vet. We went 3 weeks ago for her annual checkup and she didn't get sick!!
She also hasn't caught Hannah's URI!!

Stephanie