Does cold canned food make cats vomit?

rblaude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding Spirit canned Eagle Pack for 4 days now, the duck and oatmeal, because he has chronic diarrhea. I also feed him dry Eagle Pack every day, but at a separate time. He's had no problems until today...

I just fed him the can - cold, right out of the fridge - and he threw it all up about 5 minutes later. Was it because it was cold or should I be concerned that this food doesn't agree with him?

I tend to think it's because it's cold, since he's been eating Eagle Pack dry for a couple weeks and doing ok on it. Plus it's the 4th day feeding him canned and no problems up to this point.

I've read it on here before once and maybe somewhere else at some point.... But I thought that heating up food just made it smell better for them, more appetizing. But does it actually affect their digestion?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably a shock to the system.

A cat's normal diet would be room temp to body temp.
I would imagine the temp of the food did not agree with him.

I always heat foods that have been refridgerated, but only enough to take the chill from it.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never noticed my cats vomiting as a result of cold food, but they seem to find it less palatable so I always heat it up a bit. I would say, though, that if the vomiting happened right after they ate the cold food, the temperature would definitely be suspect.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats always eat their Eagle Pack cold...they turn their noses up at it if it's warmed. The Duck is a bit rich if your cat isn't used to it and it might have been too much for his tummy if he over indulged. Try switching to the Turkey or the Chicken it's a little easier on the tummy.

blindside462

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep my cat's canned friskys outside and it gets really cold like its refigreated and he never throws up ..he loves it. (He loves the mushy kind not the hard kind)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

My cats always eat their Eagle Pack cold...they turn their noses up at it if it's warmed. The Duck is a bit rich if your cat isn't used to it and it might have been too much for his tummy if he over indulged. Try switching to the Turkey or the Chicken it's a little easier on the tummy.
my suspicion is the duck is to rich also ... duck has been outlawed in this house

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

my suspicion is the duck is to rich also ... duck has been outlawed in this house
Mine only get it on occasion as a treat, mixed in with the Turkey or Chicken.

I guess IMO, i would cut out the duck and see what happens. Always best to change one variable at a time!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, cold food can cause GI upset. If serving food that has been refrigerated to my girlies, I always nuke it for a few seconds in the microwave to warm it for them. Always stir it well and check the temperature before serving the food though, as you wouldn't want it to be too hot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rblaude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your advice. Since I've got the duck on hand, I'll first try nuking it and see if that works for him. If it doesn't, I'll eliminate the duck. We went to duck only on the hunch that he has some sensitivity to chicken or turkey (causing the diarrhea), and it's hard to find lamb without chicken. However I do think there's more lamb-only canned options as opposed to dry.... so maybe I'll tend towards that in the future too.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned food is cooked... Hmm... if that's so, the cat might do well on just plain cooked meat... hamburger, chicken, turkey, whatever... might be expensive but it could help...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could feed a cat regular cooked meat only if you know what you're doing and know how to add things to it so it is balanced. Just feeding them table scrap meat will not do.

Zissou always waits for her wet food to warm up a little bit before she eats it, if its been in the fridge, but it doesn't make her puke. I can imagine that sensitive tummy cats could have problems with it though

Please let us know how it turns out!