does anyone have a home made renal failure diet recipe?

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hey guys

does anyone have a recipe for home made food for a cat that has had renal failure???

her last blood test showed that her kidneys are pretty much back to normal but she still needs to be on the renal failure food... problem is that she won't eat it.

are there any recipes for a more palatable food?

does anyone know if you can sprinkle bonito flakes onto the food to make it smell better??? will that add too much protein to her diet??

the cat is about 14 this year. she belongs to my mother in law.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
have checked holisticat but am very very concerned about things like trace minerals etc....
wondering if any one has an exact fool proof diet....

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zazi

hey guys

does anyone have a recipe for home made food for a cat that has had renal failure???

her last blood test showed that her kidneys are pretty much back to normal but she still needs to be on the renal failure food... problem is that she won't eat it.

are there any recipes for a more palatable food?

does anyone know if you can sprinkle bonito flakes onto the food to make it smell better??? will that add too much protein to her diet??

the cat is about 14 this year. she belongs to my mother in law.
Best site that I know of on the net is Feline Crf dot Org there will be a section on nutrition and diet along with links to homemade recipes and the katkarma food lists, which include prescription diets - so you can compare and find a comparable food re these values: protein/phosphorous/fat/sodiumcalcium content.

It is an extensive site, worth the time to mine through all of it's information. I know, I've referred to it often over the past 3 years that one of my cats has had chronic renal failure.

best wishes to this kitty to stay stable,

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zazi

have checked holisticat but am very very concerned about things like trace minerals etc....
wondering if any one has an exact fool proof diet....
I so understand ... I am using human viatimins since I couldnt find a cat formula that meet my standards ... your vet can be a great help on this..