Do cats like variety in food?

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats had been fine eating their nutro indoor kitten kibble, but then they started to just pick at it instead of eat it. So then I bought some innova evo and started mixing it in (that is some smelly kibble) and one of my cats is all over it. The other cat doesn't seem to like anything, but kit n kaboodle or meow mix (unfortunately, he's not allowed to eat that stuff anymore). Do cats like to switch up their dry food? Should I be switching it every now and then? I give them plenty of variety in wet food but they hate it all.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MeowsersMom

My cats had been fine eating their nutro indoor kitten kibble, but then they started to just pick at it instead of eat it. So then I bought some innova evo and started mixing it in (that is some smelly kibble) and one of my cats is all over it. The other cat doesn't seem to like anything, but kit n kaboodle or meow mix (unfortunately, he's not allowed to eat that stuff anymore). Do cats like to switch up their dry food? Should I be switching it every now and then? I give them plenty of variety in wet food but they hate it all.
Some kittys like variety ... how old are your kittys??

If you add flavors do it slowly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
6 months and 8 months. I don't mind switching the brands up, but I do wish the 6 month old would be more interested in eating foods other than meow mix.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are not kittens but when it comes to dry food they stick to the one they like. They're Friskies (only if there's tuna in it) and Meow Mix loyal customers
I know there are healthier brands and they have tried them but they don't care for them. It must be in the taste.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MeowsersMom

6 months and 8 months. I don't mind switching the brands up, but I do wish the 6 month old would be more interested in eating foods other than meow mix.
try mixing a bit of adult natural choice in... there is chn( plain grn bag) oceanfish and lamb flavors

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed mine dry kibble (Maxximum Nutrition Hairball Formula chicken flavor) and Friskies or Nine Lives wet food. The middle one, who really prefers dry food, will only eat wet food if it's a 'fish' flavor like salmon, tuna, whitefish, etc. She turns her little black nose up at meat flavors. LOL

The other two will eat anything that doesn't eat them first. "Variety" means nothing to them.

miyas_mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is happy with almost anything, but she seems to like the "cheap brand" the best. She likes Friskies only because she is used to is and she also loves "Carat" (I think it's only a Japanese brand". I also feed her a variety of wet foods (Whiskas and a few local Japanese brands). At times, I will cook chicken or fish for her. What is really crazy is that she does not like her mixed together with dry food!

ginger's mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girl likes her wet and dry foods seperate as well

Our local pet supplies store has Royal Canin bicuits which she LOVES but will only eat about a tablespoon of wet food each day. I have tried ALL the kitten brands here but nothing can get her to eat more than a tablespoon

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie insists on variety. He gets three different brands of dry food a week for breakfast, and will stop eating a brand after about three months, so I have to keep rotating. He gets four or five different brands of canned food for dinner, in various flavors. He prefers fish, but I also give him just meat, or meat with a little fish (e.g., chicken with shrimp). He doesn't insist on supermarket brands, because he doesn't get offered them.
There are some benefits in occasionally switching foods, apart from less risk of nutritional imbalances. A cat that isn't fixated on one particular food will be easier to switch to a different one if it becomes necessary because of a medical condition, a food allergy, a change in ingredients, or sudden unavailability of that brand.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
never had that problem - thank goodness. He is happy and content with one kind of dry & wet - but I also don't give him a choice since he has food allergies and the food he is on is the one he tolerates very well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
jcat,

It sounds like our cats are similar. It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one rotating food brands for my picky eaters!

miyas_mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jcat's reasons are exactly why I keep switching Miya's food. I am quite happy that she eats whatever is put infront of her. I may be moving back to the US soon and some of the brands she really likes may not be available in the US.