Difficulty getting supplies

gen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I currently do not live in a western country, and I have been having difficulty getting commercial cat food. What there is seems to be low quality (corn based) prohibitively expensive, and the brands keep getting switched every time I go to the store. I have never feed a raw food diet, but am thinking that suplementing my girls's food with a once a day meal of raw could help the situation. Could someone please tell me if I'm on the right track, or if I'm dangerously off?

I have three cats. To my eyes they are small, one is a chubbly 4.2 Kg female of unknown age (Calico) and two are 3 Kg females (Mars-Bar and Tigger) that are 15 months old. They all have glossy fur and good energy, but Calico has dandruff, Mars Bar is anxious and they all get bald spots when we give them revolution or frontline. The vet says that they are in good health, but their exam only involved squeezing them, weighing them and sniffing their buts.

My husband and I work, and never know exactly when we will be delayed in getting home, so the kitties always have unlimited water and kibble. On week nights they are getting about 3 tablespoons each of whatever meat we eat (mostly ground beef or steak, sometimes chicken) cut into mouth-sized bites and the stringy-est connective tissue removed. On the weekend I give them chopped liver if I can get it. If there is nothing better available they get 1/6 of a can of rinsed tuna each.

I am worried that neither their commercial food nor their raw is very balanced. I hope that the two feeding styles will balance out each other's failings. I tried offering heart as well as liver, but they don't like it. I tried adding a 1/4 of a calcium pill ground up, and they refused to eat. I have tried adding milk powder or egg yolk and they dislike it, although they are happy to sample a small amount of either on the side (about 1/2 teaspoon per cat). The only pet nutritional supplement I can find is brewers yeast and that has garlic, so I haven't been feeding it.

Should I be including bones and skin? I have been avoiding it because my girls don't seem to know how to eat it. Should I add in small amounts of human vitamin supplements? I have thought about getting the omega-3 pills that seem to contain fish oil and dropping a few drops on.

Thank you so much for your time and patience if you answer this newbie's questions.... Gen

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you give more meat? Also cutting of meat is more a cat preference as chunks will aid in cleaning their teeth.. Do Not give Cooked bones , cooked skin is fine if they will eat it ... Raw bone and skin a Big Yes! ... Can you regularly get "clean meats and organs?>

Have you tried to talk to the vet ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I probably could give them more meat. Money wise it is cheaper to feed them steak than kibble. I haven't been doing so because they're small cats and the momma cat is unfortunately a bit chubby. Would it affect them if they got lots some days and little other days? I ask because the grocery store's quality and availability is some what shaky.

I don't really know what you mean by "clean" meat. The beef is ground in store, and if you wait in line for an hour you can pick the chunk you want put into the grinder. However the cow quarter comes into the store carried on the back of a sweaty, shirtless guy. I don't think that anything is super clean, but I do try to buy fresh.

The chicken comes whole or quartered, so the organ meat is just sort of hanging in there. I remove the digestive tract and reproductive organs and offer the rest (thank god for anatomy class in university)

The vet sticks to the line that kibble is the best thing possible, and recommends scott's syrup (a human sugar/vitamin/oil mix) as a nutritional supplement. The problem is that although the vet is a well meaning person her training and experience is towards dogs.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you get into contact with a vet who has more cat knowledge? Raw diets are not rocket science but you do need the "professionals" help on things like supplements...

By clean meat I meant inspected of course a shirtless guy could give it some contamination...

Chicken may be much easier for you to give as you have the organs readily available

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gen

Hello all, I currently do not live in a western country, and I have been having difficulty getting commercial cat food. BTY, being myself from Brasil, I must correct you in something, don't take me wrong.... but you are in fact right in the middle of the western hemisphere... So... yep, you do live in a western country
. Not North America, but surely western country.

What there is seems to be low quality (corn based) prohibitively expensive, and the brands keep getting switched every time I go to the store. I have never feed a raw food diet, but am thinking that suplementing my girls's food with a once a day meal of raw could help the situation. Could someone please tell me if I'm on the right track, or if I'm dangerously off?
I have three cats. To my eyes they are small, one is a chubbly 4.2 Kg female of unknown age (Calico) and two are 3 Kg females (Mars-Bar and Tigger) that are 15 months old. They all have glossy fur and good energy, but Calico has dandruff, Mars Bar is anxious and they all get bald spots when we give them revolution or frontline. The vet says that they are in good health, but their exam only involved squeezing them, weighing them and sniffing their buts. FYI - Revolution is known to cause a reaction in some cats, and to cause bald spots... I do have 2 cats who are sensitive to it. Try Advantage instead, if you have it available, and see if it helps...
While they are young, the vet exam is like that... and all that squeezing is enough for them to feel their internal organs. Make sure to write down the issues to discuss with the vet though...

My husband and I work, and never know exactly when we will be delayed in getting home, so the kitties always have unlimited water and kibble. On week nights they are getting about 3 tablespoons each of whatever meat we eat (mostly ground beef or steak, sometimes chicken) cut into mouth-sized bites and the stringy-est connective tissue removed. On the weekend I give them chopped liver if I can get it. If there is nothing better available they get 1/6 of a can of rinsed tuna each. Is this raw meat? Because if it is, it can be dangerous... It is not really safe to free feed dry food, and then feed raw at the same time, as they have very different digestion times, and your kitties can get some serious bacterial issues. The best way to do this, would be to feed them on a schedule - dry in the morning, raw at night... But not together. This can be trouble.

I am worried that neither their commercial food nor their raw is very balanced. I hope that the two feeding styles will balance out each other's failings. I tried offering heart as well as liver, but they don't like it. I tried adding a 1/4 of a calcium pill ground up, and they refused to eat. I have tried adding milk powder or egg yolk and they dislike it, although they are happy to sample a small amount of either on the side (about 1/2 teaspoon per cat). The only pet nutritional supplement I can find is brewers yeast and that has garlic, so I haven't been feeding it.

Should I be including bones and skin? I have been avoiding it because my girls don't seem to know how to eat it. Should I add in small amounts of human vitamin supplements? I have thought about getting the omega-3 pills that seem to contain fish oil and dropping a few drops on.

Thank you so much for your time and patience if you answer this newbie's questions.... Gen
What dry food are you feeding? Do you have the ingredients? Can you post for us? Also, what else do you have available?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're totally right about the hemisphere. I guess i meant western as in "can go to grocery store/pharmacy and buy whatever you want" type of socioeconomic situation.

We have tried frontline and revolution, I guess we will try advantage next. The vet came recommended by four or five different people, and she really is a kind, caring person.

I had no idea about the digestion problems caused by mixing dry and raw. They seem to prefer raw meat over cooked and only eat the kibble when there is no other option. I just worry so much about what will happen if I am unable to get home on time to feed them.

The premiere pet store in town (Don Perro) only seems to stock 1 or 2 brands of kibble at a time and they switch frequently. When it is available i get nutrience or iams. They seem to have chicken among the principal ingredients. If not I get equilibrio (same ingredients but the cats refuse to eat it), or gati, gatty, and venezuelan friskies (all three are corn based). I cannot afford to consider canned food, a small can of fancy feast costs 18 BsF and would barely feed 1 cat one day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you thought about making your own canned>?