Dietary supplements

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any reason to give cats supplements while feeding a homemade raw diet? I know some cats have problems with bones and need the calcium pills, but what about the other minerals, vitamins, taurine, etc.?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's usually a calcium powder, not pills. Thankfuly--pilling a cat can be such a pain! I think most raw feeders supplement with taurine, because it's so important and you can't really overdose. Omega 3s are a good idea unless you feed grass-fed/pastured meat. Whether that's in oil form or by feeding sardines. I'm sure there are other supplements used for cats with specific conditions.

All the other vitamins and minerals are supplied by the meat and organs.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's usually a calcium powder, not pills. Thankfuly--pilling a cat can be such a pain! I think most raw feeders supplement with taurine, because it's so important and you can't really overdose. Omega 3s are a good idea unless you feed grass-fed/pastured meat. Whether that's in oil form or by feeding sardines. I'm sure there are other supplements used for cats with specific conditions.
All the other vitamins and minerals are supplied by the meat and organs.
:yeah:
By feeding chunks of meat, or frankerprey, raw feeders generally don't supplement taurine, as there is enough in the meat. Laurie and I do, just to be on the safe side - Taurine is something that will be disastrous if you lack, but you really can't overdose.... so I rather be over than not give enough....
I do not supplement my heart meals with Taurine though, as hearts are very rich in taurine - those I am sure I am covered.
Calcium is another one that is essential - I supplement with eggshells - my cats accept it very well.

The only other thing I add, is a gel cap of krill oil a day......

Hope gets only Call of the wild and Krill oil.
My cats don't like sardines..... they get the daily large krill oil gel cap instead.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never thought about sardines. Patricia will eat anything that swims.

I agree about the powder. Pilling a cat is never fun.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, the problem with calcium tablet-type supplements made for cats is that they are typically BALANCED with phosphorus, which completely defeats the purpose when you're trying to balance the phosphorus in the meat with calcium. Bone does have phosphorus in it, so when using freeze dried bone or bone meal, that phosphorus has to be accounted for when calculating how much to use to get to the right calcium:phosphorus ratio feeding meat and organs.

As to the other supplements, none are actually "needed" depending on how you prepare the raw food. Meat and organs, properly balanced with calcium provides the nutrition cats need.

I choose to use an omega 3 supplement, some taurine, and probiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a lot of cats and dogs break their teeth by eating raw bones, so it is always better to use bone meal for safety reasons. That makes me wonder how good bone meal is because "meat meal" has been linked to 4D animals.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, if their owners haven't maintained healthy teeth, and feed inappropriate bones, I can see that would be a problem.

If someone is going to use bone meal, all they have to do is use HUMAN GRADE bone meal, and problem solved.

Though I recommend freeze dried bone (MCHA - microcrystalline hydroxyapatite) over bone meal.

burretje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't see the need to supplement the diet if the cat is fed a well balanced diet. That is a big if. If you are concerned about taurine you can feed a little more heart, which is rich in taurine. 
I read a lot of cats and dogs break their teeth by eating raw bones, so it is always better to use bone meal for safety reasons. 
These animals probably were fed bones that where too big. I never feed my cats any bone that I cannot cut with pruning shears. Bones from chicken, duck, partridge, quail, dove, small rodens and so on are fine to feed to cats. I'm always carefull with rabbit bones however. The leg bones can be quite tough and a rabbit skull can only be eaten by a very experienced cat. I never feed bones from geese, turkey, lam or any other animal that is bigger than a large chicken. These simply are not suited for a cat. 

I'd always prefer feeding raw bones over any kind of supplement from a health perspective.