Diet change making cat want to eat more?

reun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
first off, please don't be too hard on me. I do not know much about cats yet. My wife had a male cat (american shorthair, mix breed) when we got married. he is 5 years old and a pretty big cat(not fat, just...big).

I have had him to the vet a few times for check ups, he is healthy. I paid to have him fixed because he was a little over zealous about getting into fights, and due to a rule change at out apartment, he is now forced to be a indoor cat. he was a indoor/outdoor, and for the first month of being indoors, he was miserable, and so were we. now he has settled down, but there are other problems.

i started looking into his diet, because even though the vet said he was healthy, anything other than dry food would cause him to either vomit or have diarrea or gas. I have tried slowly introducing small amounts of various "good catfoods"...ones that didnt have byproducts and corn ect. its a 50/50 chance he will keep it down.

my concern is, i moved him slowly from a friskies indoor catfood to brandon farms organics catfood. he is keeping it down fine, no gas or loose stools, but, he is eating a ton. my wife had a automatic feeder for him, im thinking i will have to remove it and start giving him portions.

he was not overweight, but, we recently had a cold snap and got 12 inches of snow (we normally get 2" or less a year, mostly just rain), and now he recently started eating alot and put on a couple pounds. he is a big cat, at least for a mix it seems, 18lbs with no extra weight on him. now he has a little belly starting where as before he had nothing.

I am not sure if it was the weather, or the diet change. I was told giving him a food with better nutrients and less byproducts and grains would make him eat less, the opposite has been true so far.

so, sorry for the very long post, I wanted to make sure i offered enough info on the situation. I am also sure I am doing something wrong so I apoligise for that as well.

p.s. forgot to mention, whenever i am home i play with him and try to burn off some of his energy. I provide him with toys and scratching posts, but, no one else plays with him, and i am at work or asleep most of my time.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats will develop the "belly". It's actually called a spay sway and either sex can have it. Bijou in fact has a quite a large one - it protects their internal organs during fights so I hear.

If you are free-feeding a dry food, try introducing a wet food. (You may have to try several kinds and brands to find one your kitty will like.) Wet food is a healthier diet and less likely to cause weight gain than dry food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I am still having a hard time finding a wet food that even somewhat agrees with him. he either vomits it up half the time or gets diarrea. i have tried everything available locally, there is a petco in another town not to far from here, I was going to see what they have in the way of good catfoods...

I had read and was told the reason that my cat was having digestive problems was because of the grade of food, but even when i give him small portions of a high quality (no by products,no fillers, fewer grains) canned food, its iffy as to wether or not he will keep it down.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what food did you go from???

and what food is being feed currently??

On ave the better foods often have more fat than grocery level thus more calories

reun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well, before he was getting a diet of friskies indoor delights dry cat food. i cant remember the names of the wet catfoods off the top of my head, but, i basically tried all the better grade wet foods at wilco farm store and at a local pet store.

i was just looking for foods without by products and junk in them and that werent overboard on calories.

since i am currently out of wet catfoods to try, he is getting a staple diet of dry brandon farms organic catfood and dry iam's proactive hairball care.

perhaps i have not given enough time on the wet catfoods, maybe he needed more time to adjust. on the ones i have tried i have purchased 4 cans of each, and only fed 1/4 of the can once a day, and threw the left over half away after the second day, I wasnt sure how long they would keep in the refriderator, so i didnt want to leave it in there more than 24 hours. so i guess he only had 8 days on each, but he seemed to do so poorly with the wet food i had not bothered feeding it longer than that.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert on feeding cats but I don't like to leave food out all the time. Blossom gets fed once a day by me but she knows how to get an extra meal out of my hubby. She sometimes has a delicate tummy & has soft motions, more often than usual every couple of months or so. The vet gave her Royal Canin sensitivity S/O control pouches, a wet food. A day or 2 on that & she goes back to normal. One time when she was particularly bad she gave her protexin, which was very expensive, a probiotic powder.
Check out this link & see if any of it would be helpful to your puss.http://cats.about.com/gi/dynamic/off...rg%2Findex.htm

reun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for the link, i had actually stumbled across that article when i was looking up nutrition before so I could find some info on better foods to feed him.

the problem I am having, is he is not having the diarrea or vomiting on the dry food, that actually starts when I try and introduce a wet food.

at this point, he hasn't put on any more weight in the last few days, but everyone here and every site I have looked up nutrition facts says he needs to be on wet food.

my only problem has been finding a wet food that agrees with him. does it take longer than a week for a food to start settling with a cat especially if his diet since a kitten has been cheap dry food?

anyway, any more help would be appriciated!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
often yes ... cat tummies are often picky and take time to adjust