Did we adopt a Turkish Van?

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Warrior certainly LOOKS like a Turkish Van!  What a sweetie, you must be sure to share many more pics - and some vids! -- of this baby!

My Emma seems to be a Van as well.  My aunt adopted Emma from the MSPCA when Emma was about 10; my aunt passed, and Emma came to me.  I will certainly enjoy seeing what Emma must have been like in her younger years.  And yes, Emma is obsessed with the water in the tub - to the point that I have to keep the bathroom door closed.  She will sit in the tub and meow until I turn the tap on.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, she does look like a Turkish Van! And the fact that her purrsonality matches up is an even stronger indication that she could be a Van. You are right that Vans are a very rare breed, but rare breeds are sometimes up for adoption. Check out this video, where a family found a Havana Brown just wandering the street: Just out of curiosity, do you have any Turkish Van breeders in your area? I know that there's one in Michigan. Regardless of how Warrior ended up at the shelter, it seems that you and her were meant to be!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, welcome to TCS Casey and Warrior !  Abyeb is right, of course - there's no mistaking the fact that Warrior is a Turkish Van - and actually a very "high quality" Van at that according to the Breed Standard.

It's difficult to see her eye colour in the images above, but on brightening it, she seems to have green eyes, with a hint of olive - a colour Van breeders call, "Tourmaline."  Is this accurate at all?

Vans are rare in America; a "pet quality" Turkish Van showed up on TCS just about three weeks ago, having simply wandered into a member's yard.  I wish one would wander into my yard - they're such beautiful cats, and actually very graceful swimmers.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she does look like a Turkish Van! And the fact that her purrsonality matches up is an even stronger indication that she could be a Van. You are right that Vans are a very rare breed, but rare breeds are sometimes up for adoption. Check out this video, where a family found a Havana Brown just wandering the street: Just out of curiosity, do you have any Turkish Van breeders in your area? I know that there's one in Michigan. Regardless of how Warrior ended up at the shelter, it seems that you and her were meant to be!
Almost unbelievable isn't it?  I hereby amend my previous post to read, "I wish that a Turkish Van and an Havana Brown would wander into my yard...."

Aside from Halima Turkish Van Cattery in Ypsilanti Michigan, which Abyeb mentioned (whose odd-eyed Halima Gumibar won All 'Round Best in 2015):

http://halimaturkishvancat.com/

there's also Kayserai Cattery in Texas (Barb Lindsay) whose Supreme Grand Champion "Kayserai Komuton"  was Best Cat for the 2016 Season, and whose eyes are very nearly Tourmaline.

http://www.kayseraiturkishvans.com/KayseraiTurkishVans.com/Welcome.html

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat test "If you were a purebred cat, what breed would you be?" results said that I would be a Turkish Van.  I fail to see the resemblance between myself and the breed.  Turkish Vans are much more beautiful!

Really pretty kitten you have there.  Congratulations! 

devv_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely looks like a van! I have been doing extensive research on them as I suspect my adopted fur baby is also a van. They certainly have similar markings (minus the black). What do y'all think?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
devv_s devv_s Your cat too has a turkish van looks, even if he has a few extra spots.

Although playing Devils Advocate, I must mention, the breed is rare but the pattern of turkish van although not very common, is not unusual at all. Its a quite strong pattern. We can surprisisingly often see a barn cat, a moggie with such pattern, get a whole litter with more or less exactly the same pattern... A big Van and six adorable tiny Vans, if you please! :)
Normally such may hint the kittens were purebred, but in such here cases we KNOW they are random moggies, however sweet and precious they are.

Of course, a combo of van pattern and mediumhair narrows down our possibilies, and soon enough we must perhaps admit: here we do have a Turkish Van. If not purebred since innumerous generations back, so at least, an excellent candidat for a Novice, which any association would be happy to admit among its ranks - as a promising Novice. :)

devv_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ thanks for your response! I read that most t vans have a spot between their shoulder blades knows as "gods thumbprint". It is thought to mean that the cat is blessed. Just found that interesting :)

Jackielagata

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I am new to this amazing world of cats. We have two cats at home, the older, Jackie is five and the younger, Zeus, is about nine months, he was found with two sisters in the garbage. I am wondering if Seus could have sort of mix with these Van Turkish cats. One of his sister looks exactly like him and was adopted by my sister. I inserted one picture of Jackie as well.

Attachments