Deworming very small kittens

HeSaves

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I have a cat with two small kittens. She had more but one passed away shortly after birth because she accidentally poked a hole in it trying to move it that got infected and the second died yesterday for unknown reasons but appeared to have diarrhea. I am giving metronidazole with sulfa something .115 ml and clamoxil as well. Has runny eyes and the poop smelled a little bloody. Only about 230 grams and very skinny. I don't know how to make it gain weight, I am giving wet food. Also I have a dewormer called Parastin puppy Febantel, Pirantel, Praziquantel, it says give 1 ml per kg. Can I give to a kitten this small? I am afraid to overdose the kitten as this has happened before at home and at the veterinarian. I am in Mexico and rescue cats and I just spent a lot taking a cat the hospital and I don't have much this week. Can I use this dewormer in this size kitten? Is about 5 weeks but tiny and not gaining much weight and I want to deworm but afraid to overdose. Thank you!!!
PARASTIN PUPPY | PLM - Veterinario!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should wait and let the meds the kitten is already taking work.

How often do you feed the kitten? Do you give it kitten formula to drink daily? That might help. Also dry kitten chow available 24/7.

Is the mother cat nursing? How is her health?

Thank you for trying to help these poor kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeSaves

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The mother cat is nursing her babies and the kitten is eating kibble but had sort of a dry poo so I gave some wet food again today... I'm not doing formula because Mom is feeding and I am feeding the mom food and water... I am afraid to deworm when so skinny. Someone said to give like 2-3 drops of wormer aka .2 ml. I measured out .1 aka three drops but I have not given it. Hoping to get weight on first.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This seems to be an allround devormer, specialized for dogs. While devormers for cats may be the same substances, the exact dosage may be different...
I dont know about the reputation of this especial dewormer firm either. The firm seems to be mexican.
Had you asked the vet about his opinion? Or do you have neigbours whom used this dewormer?

Has the kittens had fleas at any occasion? Fleas are inbetween hosts for tape worms, thus making an all round dewormer necessary.

But if the havent has fleas, the usual pyrantel- containing dewormers should be enough. And pyrantel as such is mild, so they should be able to manage this.

As you hint, knowing the exact weight to get the dosage is wise.... A healthy kitten has margins and overdosing some is not harmful, but these kittens dont have much margins...

Re supplementing. Have you access to goats milk? Its a good supplement both for momma and kittens, and cheaper than kmr.
Raw goats milk has even some potential healthy properties, as it comes from an alive momma...

H HeSaves