Decrease of the Cake Mix Weight Saga Continues...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm on a couple baking forums on FB and recently found out that Betty Crocker has now decreased some of their cake mixes to 13.25 ounces. 13.25 OUNCES!
At this point, I would think that the mixture just barely covers a 13x9-inch pan! A cake mix used to contain 18.25 ounces, then they decreased it to 15.25 ounces. Now? 13.25 ounces. That must be one thin cake.

This is why I've completely stopped using cake mixes and haven't used a cake mix in years. Sure, you can add the extra ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, etc.) to your cake mix to make up what the mix is lacking. But if I have to do that, then I'm making my own damn cake! It's ridiculous! It's taken me a while to figure out how to make my own cakes for things like pineapple upside down cake, honey bun cake, turtle cake, etc. But it's a lot better than playing stupid games with Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Duncan Hines. Ridiculous! (And that's my rant for the day!)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides, you still have to get out the mixing bowl, the measuring cups and the mixer. You still have to clean up the baking pans and everything else. You still have to wash all the dishes, afterward. Using a boxed mix just doesn't save you much time.

Why not just measure out your ingredients? It's not that much extra time or effort. Plus, the result is likely to be ten times better than any old boxed mix.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has been ages since I baked a cake. When the kids were still at home I did some baking. I would doctor a cake mix, there was actually a book on the different ways to doctor cake mixes so they were more like homemade. That would even need adjusted because the mixes are smaller.

A lot of ice cream 'half gallons' are actually 48 ounces now.