Declawing

casiokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seven cats and I would like to offer just one more idea for the cat. Have you ever heard of a kitty tree? It is this big tall thing made of ropes, tunnels that are carpeted, and holes to go in and out of. I have two of them and have had them for a couple of years. They still love them! Out of seven cats they all use their trees. My furniture still looks great considering there are 140 claws in my house. WISE INVESTMENT for you and them. By the way spread the word. DO NOT DECLAW!

G

ghostuser

I would never declaw my cats
I'm sure your kittie appreciates your decision

moganbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i respect everyones opinion on declawing, but i had my cat Gracie declawed at the same time she was spayed, and the day she cam home it was like nothing had even happened. They have that new procedure with the laseer and i guess it isn't as painful.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The younger the cat is the less traumatic it is for them, but it is still traumatic. It still does not make it the right thing to do. A cat uses it's claws for balance and now that Gracie does not have this balance, this affects her walk. She is in for some problems as she grows older- spinal and back problems are common with older declawed cats. (I am not yelling at you I am simply explaining) Without her claws, should you introduce another cat into your household she could become stressed and you could have some aggression or behavior issues then.

"Declawing is a risky and painful procedure that amputates the bone, tendon, claw and ligament to the first knuckle of each joint."

"Most owners of declawed cats report higher vet and repair bills and more litter box problems over time."

Cat Be Good by Annie Bruce

moganbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We'll see i guess, she seems to be fine, balance doesn't seem to be an issue.

mirror

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
...But we cut a 3 foot square of it off, and actually nailed it to a corner of the wall so that it covers the whole corner, which for some reason they loved to scratch to begin with. The sound of cat claws on stucco, sheetrock, really ANY kind of wall material other than wood is like chalkboard to the 10th power. They used the first corner to shreds. We also got one of those trees with carpeting, about 6 feet high. It's probably one of the single best gifts we ever gave them. They climb it and claw it like mad. Certainly saved our sofas...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Morgan- her balance will become an issue as she grows and gets older. She will be prone to spinal problems and bad bouts of arthritis. It is always sad for me to know that a cat has lost her toes because of furniture issues, and not because of health issues. I wish you and your cat the best.

moganbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah i know thanx you've given me this speech before, you know, you shouldn't criticize other peoples decisions, maybe it would be useful to me if i hadn't done it already, but now when you say it after the fact, it just sounds patronizing. I will fully stand by my decision to declaw Gracie.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My remarks and statements are meant to be left here in this thread so that others coming in after you that stumble upon it might learn about the right thing to do for the cat. Declawing is NEVER the right decision, not for the reasons stated above.

moganbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok, thats your opinion on the Cons of declawing, and since i hope this site is unbiased and users are able to express their thoughts, here are mine: Arthritis, spinal problems, balance issues, come with many cats, as well as many OTHER animals, as they age, regardless of whether ot not they have been declawed. I should know, i've had 8 cats growing up, it happens to the best of them. So i hope other readers can read this and know that yes, there are a lot of descisions to make in this matter, but choose the one thats best for you, and by all means, if you choose to declaw your cat, shut your mouth and don't write about it on this site or you will have to suffer the wrath of hissy. I will no longer be corresponding on this website.

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by MoganBee
So i hope other readers can read this and know that yes, there are a lot of descisions to make in this matter, but choose the one thats best for you...
ROTFL!!! That right there says it all for me.
ha ha

It's a well known fact or recommendation, that people should choose pets by what suits them and their families life style. For anyone who has to declaw a cat, it is OBVIOUS, that a cat is NOT the COMPANION for them.

You miss the point, that declawing is never done for the good of a cat, but purely for your PLEASURE, which means you get pleasure out of harming animals... ok I'll stop now or I'll just go off (no... this is not me going off, least not yet.)

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You think I gave you my wrath? I speak from experience, not from anger. Perhaps frustration as this subject crops up on these forums a lot, and usually after the fact.

I have a dear friend who only rescues declawed cats (from shelters) She has 16 and she has her hands full dealing with the behavior problems that landed them all in the shelters in the first place. Interestingly, she had a hard time finding an insurance company that would adequately insure her home because of the opinion that declawed cats destroy more furniture than clawed ones (by peeing and biting and such) But Louise, bless her heart just keeps going to shelters and getting more cats. She has a huge enclosure built for them off her house, so they can go outside and stay safe. She has three that I gave her that I rescued over the years and she has nothing in her home they can jump up on, no cat trees etc- in keeping with letting them grow old without any spinal problems.

So I am sorry you let me run you off this board. The majority of this board is anti-declaw, and there is a reason that declawing is illegal in most countries. Just not in the United States, because it is a money-maker for vets. Though, if they thought about it and instead sold Soft Paws, they would make a lot more money and have happier clients.