Daily Walks In Winter? What Do!

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Me and my girl have daily walks, 2 walks generally. However, despite being hot as a devilpit right now, cold season is coming and hits HARD in my state. (0 degrees in fall? why not!) Of course, every single winter is hell for me and my cat as we can't do our daily walks, and she's extra frustrated. For those of you who have routine (daily) walks, what do you do when temps get low? Sweaters? Booties?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I'm dealing with the same issues, so thank you for sharing!

Last winter I had a very small puppy and this winter I will have a kitten. I found it necessary to cut up a pair of microfibre long john pants for my tiny puppy and layer them.

I wore two sets and sometimes a third and so did the puppy. Then I topped that with 2-3 layers of fleece, a puffer, and rain protection over it all. This was for a dog, so she didn't need booties.

None of my animals can stand hoods and my second Chi just vetoed a really great winter jacket from the thrift store. You might have better luck if you can get your girl outside RIGHT AWAY after putting the challenging clothing on.

If she knows what it's for and that it means she can keep walking through the winter, she might surprise you. I was certainly surprised to see the Abys wearing the cute hooded parkas and booties in the pictures!

ETA: Sleeves seem to trip Willow up right now, but she's fine wearing brightly coloured T shirts and other clothing to make her more visible on the trail if she (God forbid) she ever slips her harness and gets lost.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm dealing with the same issues, so thank you for sharing!

Last winter I had a very small puppy and this winter I will have a kitten. I found it necessary to cut up a pair of microfibre long john pants for my tiny puppy and layer them.

I wore two sets and sometimes a third and so did the puppy. Then I topped that with 2-3 layers of fleece, a puffer, and rain protection over it all. This was for a dog, so she didn't need booties.

None of my animals can stand hoods and my second Chi just vetoed a really great winter jacket from the thrift store. You might have better luck if you can get your girl outside RIGHT AWAY after putting the challenging clothing on.

If she knows what it's for and that it means she can keep walking through the winter, she might surprise you. I was certainly surprised to see the Abys wearing the cute hooded parkas and booties in the pictures!

ETA: Sleeves seem to trip Willow up right now, but she's fine wearing brightly coloured T shirts and other clothing to make her more visible on the trail if she (God forbid) she ever slips her harness and gets lost.
I am dreading trying the booties! But specter seems to be tolerant of things after the first try.. Keyword - tolerant! She's worn clothes before, the boots will be new though. Can I ask where you got your clothes for willow from? I usually make mine (frugal!), but curious!