Cynder's Breed

cynder 8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm trying to find out what breed my cat could be. Cynder is a dark smokey grey color, has a white patch of fur on his stomach and his toe, on his tail he has what looks like tabby stripes which are barely noticeable in real life. below is a picture. I don't know what his parents were, he was found at my mothers grave.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm trying to find out what breed my cat could be. Cynder is a dark smokey grey color, has a white patch of fur on his stomach and his toe, on his tail he has what looks like tabby stripes which are barely noticeable in real life. below is a picture. I don't know what his parents were, he was found at my mothers grave.
I take it you did received this gift, and he is living his life with you in your home?

I would like to see a couple of good pics more, not least, of his head and eyes.

the tabby stripes on tail is no real tabby, it is called for ghost markings, and will "should" disappear when he is older.

He looks nicely enough, I think you can be happy with this gift.   :)

Good luck!

ps. the trick with dark cats is, if you have a camera where you can open the light extra, open up a whole step extra, or even two steps. Let in more light than the camera wants itself.

If you do have an oldfashioned manual camera, it is even easier. Just take the proper pic.

Althoug if you want to have him lighter, do open an extra step here too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cynder 8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cynder is living with me and is happy, he just turned 1 recently, I am more than happy with him, he is a sweet cat and I have never had a problem with him. I was able to get some better pictures of him.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Much better pics! Tx! Lovely green eyes! Still, I dont get the immediate impression; "aha, a Russian blue just a little disguised!"  (grey is called for blue in the cat fanciers language). I dont see the typical silvery shimmer in the coat either.  Yet, with these intensively green eyes I dont want to say "just a beautiful moggie". They are too good!  Rather, yes, I think he is a moggie, but one of these natural occuring grey cats, foundation moggies, from which Russian blue was breeded from once upon a time, and reinforced with around the 1950.  Reinforced again when the Nebelungen, the longhaired Russian, was breed forth, in the 1980:ies?.

OK, Korat then?  Nay, I dont think so.

These white patches?  They can occasionally be seen in RB too, a not so uncommon fault. These are of course not used in showing, and very seldom in breeding.

He is quite dark in the body, almost black on one pic.  I had seen a couple of pics of almost black Russian Blue, so this is sooner a variation in the grey.

He may very well be a very pet quality Russian blue (or possibly Korat) from some ByB breeder. But I would say, for his prides sake, better not call him that, a very pet quality from a ByB.

Better to say:  Domestic short hair,  blue in color,  somewhat look alike a Russian Blue.

I hope my answer is helpful for you.

Good luck!

cynder 8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thing is though is that the flash on the camera wasn't used so the light wont bounce off and show a shimmer, I was using the light in my spare room which is better than where the first picture was taken. It was very helpful.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a blue cat with silver tips, you have to get the light just right in the photo for it to show up. Your kitty is beautiful! Those faint tabby stripes ( especially on the tail) are not uncommon when these cats are young. Have you seen the website What Blue Cat is That? It goes into the many distinctive differences between the purebred blue cat breeds. 

My blue kitty, he was just a stray that showed up. He is an awesome loving lap cat. 

Last edited:

cynder 8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With the stripes on his tail their actually rings going around the whole tail. I notices that he still has them but you can only see it when he is in the sun light, hes my baby. Your cat is adorable, mines only a lap cat when he wants something or i'm eating.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, mine had very faint rings near the tip of his tail too. Not sure if they are still there. I'm guessing mine is a year old now.