Cutting Hare-Today Bone Percentage - Math Help?

mildlyironic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hallo!

I'm back, and am hoping someone can give me advice on/look over the numbers my spreadsheet made for me. I'm preparing for the arrival of two rescue kittens (and procrastinating on lots of other tasks - ergo, spreadsheets), and hope to transition them to raw after they've settled into my apartment. After contacting Hare Today and discovering that their bone percentages are about 16-20%, I decided to consider cutting Hare Today's meat/organ/bone mixes with meat and organs. However, comparing the results my spreadsheet gave me with prior threads here, I'm nervous that my math is somehow wrong. 

Methodology: I decided to shoot for an 80/10/10 distribution, and had a sense of how much bone percentage was in the mixes generally (16-20%), although I did not have specific numbers for chicken/turkey/duck/rabbit, the four proteins I'm focusing on. I also did not have numbers for what percentage of organs each mix had. However, working off the fact that the mixes likely are fairly representative of the animal, and that frankenprey pegs a balanced meal at 10% organ, I decided to assume that HT's mixes were 10% organ. Working on my spreadsheet, I came up with the following recipe:

6 lbs Hare Today meat/bone/organ mix

4 lbs additional meat

0.5 lbs additional ground Hare Today organs

Alnutrin (+ around 2 egg yolks)

Total Weight: 10.5lbs

Organ Content: 1.1 lbs (10.5%)

Bone Percentage Minimum (assuming 16% bone in HT mix): 9.1%

Bone Percentage Maximum (assuming 20% bone in HT mix): 11.4%

This looks pretty awesome, right? Except, looking at other threads, it seems like not many people add meat/organ to their HT mixes - or if they do, add significantly less than the amount I'm adding. My organ assumption could be completely off, but I doubt that assumption, alone, can explain the significant difference in projected amount of meat added. Is my math super whack? Would this recipe cause harm? 

Thanks in advance!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your math seems right to me. :) There are defonitely people here who do add muscle meat to cut down on the bone percentage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mildlyironic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm super nervous about the possibility that I might end up feeding my kittens an ill-balanced diet (especially since I'm currently surrounded by nay-sayers), so it's good to know that this recipe seems on track!