Cursive

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our school district no longer teaches cursive but I "love" it. I use cursive in my every day life whether jotting notes on the calendar, making lists or writing a rough draft of sub/lesson plans. I also learned calligraphy for extra income when my children were young writing/addressing wedding invitations and even certificates for different companies. Of course computers have changed this but I still enjoy writing cursive and pride myself on my legible handwriting skills.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like how cursive looks, but I rarely use it anymore. I do block letters or a combo of block and cursive. I was kind of bummed out the first time I heard they no longer teach it. I used to live across the street from this older lady that had the most gorgeous cursive handwriting. It had all these flourishes and curly cues. It was like art. You could take an envelope she addressed, put it in a frame and hang it on the wall.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use cursive to write letters and personal notes although I am not very good at it. Printing just takes too long.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom writes in cursive and while I was taught cursive, I really don't ever use it. Even though I'm fairly tech-savvy, I refuse to use my phone for note taking. I have so many little notebooks that I use for making grocery lists or just writing down something to remember. I'm a wannabe writer though as well, so it's easier to write with pencil and paper than with my phone if inspiration strikes when I'm not on my laptop.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember learning cursive. I HATED it. My teachers were always so picky about your letters being perfect and proportionate. I could never make a good capital "S" or "G," or a lowercase "b" and it still bugs me. For years and years I signed my name with a mix of print and cursive letters
Same here.
When I went to school, home computers were just a thing in some sci-fi shows. To this day, all my capital letters are in print and my hand writing is a combination of print and cursive. But it's very legible.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's sad that people no longer know how to write - or read - cursive. So much of the past is going to be lost when it can no longer be translated.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So much of the past is going to be lost when it can no longer be translated.
Since we have people who can translate ancient languages, I'm sure a bit of script writing won't stop translation. They'll just have to take special classes for it ;).

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I like to write in cursive still, mostly for my personal use. they're fun to do.
it's neater than my print I think.

I feel writing in cursive is easier on my hand than printing, I tend to grip the pen too hard when printing.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mostly print, and my signature is just a quick lowercase cursive of my initials.

When I would have to take notes I'd use cursive, I can write faster in it than I could print and be equally legible. So much typing these days there's rarely a reason to print or write cursive anymore!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we have people who can translate ancient languages, I'm sure a bit of script writing won't stop translation. They'll just have to take special classes for it ;).
Yes, but suppose a person is into family history and comes across a stack of letters written by their great great grandparents, in script? Maybe nobody will care anyway by then.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I. . .don't think it will be any different than it is now, trying to decipher various handwritings, some legible, some not. People who are interested will develop the skill just like they do now.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I was taught cursive writing from the fourth grade on. It's much faster than printing.

It's sad that it's not taught today. Soon people won't even be able to read such important documents as theDeclaration of Independence or the Magna Carta. I guess it goes along with the dumbing down of school. The average person used to read at a sixth grade level. Now it's fourth.

If it's not electronic, people can't function. If they have to think or use logic, all is lost. Try giving a clerk the extra pennies after the cash register has figured the change. They can't do the math. Ask someone to do mental math, even simple addition. No way. If all the electronics failed, the world would be helpless.

As a long-time postal person, I could read almost anything, cursive or printed, or written in European style. I could even read what my doctor wrote. I still can. The skill started with knowing handwriting.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if it's an age thing. Maybe a location thing? The schools here have famously been rather mediocre. When you have a 15-year-old teaching 20 kids in an unheated building that'll happen. I had a co-worker (he would have been around 73 now, I think) who couldn't read his OWN handwriting, lol. But then he was left-handed, and I think the focus in his school was trying to beat the left-handedness out of him instead of actually teaching him how to write :/. Man his handwriting was awful. He was pretty good about deciphering other people's handwriting though :D.

All this talk about younger people being dumbed down makes me feel too dumb to post, durrr. . .:runaround: