Crusty black/brown nose

leahnicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I recently took in a stray/semi feral cat named Terry. Recently he has had some black/brown crusty stuff in both of his nostrils. I have never seen this before and I am a bit concerned. Since he is still a bit wild, he does not allow me to touch him at all so I am unable to get a close look or try to wash his face. I had him neutered and all bloodwork done. The vet said he is healthy with no diseases, but his nose was fine at that time. I plan on taking him back to the vet soon, but I wanted to ask for any advice. Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Does he go outside at all, where he might be getting his nose dirty? If not, what could be in the house that he could be getting into - potting soil, for example, or maybe even something he is rubbing his nose on? Aerosol sprays, disinfectants, etc. can also cause a runny nose in cats, as well as scented candles and perfumes, not to mention dust, mold, and other environmental type irritants, as any of these can cause irritation to the nasal mucous membranes.

It would be helpful to see if you could get someone to aid you with cleaning his nose, but he is really probably doing that himself already - and if so, then it seems it might be a recurring issue, not just a one-time event.

If you think the coloring is due to dried blood, and/or you see more 'stuff' showing up on his nose/face, then you probably should just go ahead and get him to the vet so they can take a look.