Couple questions for my spayed kittens

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My two 5 month old kittens (sisters) Arwen and Éowyn were spayed April 5, and it's been nothing but chaos since then, trying to keep them from getting to their incisions, making various bodysuits in hopes they won't wriggle out, etc. But I won't go in to all that 😣
I wanted to see if anyone could give advice or input on the two things I'm dealing with; but I want to preface that I *am* going to call my vet as soon as I get home from work.

So first, I'll start with Éowyn. Vet's orders were to confine for 10 days. On April 8 or 9th (day 4 and 5) she started getting aggressive after a few minutes of holding/petting. She would bare her teeth, sometimes try to bite, and she would scratch. This morning though (April 11) she clawed me so aggressively that I couldn't even check her incision (which I was trying to do). I had to quickly put her back in her cage and then wash all the blood off my hand. This is not her usual self and I'm very worried. Both kittens are normally sweet and gentle. I don't know if she's in pain, and this is her way of venting it? Or if it's her hormones trying to balance out (she was in heat at the time of her surgery)? Or stress/anxiety about being in a cage (although she's been in one before, just not this long; it is a large cage too)? Or just that she's ready to go back outside and kill rodents? I'd be so sad if this is her new personality. She seemed to be doing fine healing up to that point. Eating, sleeping, drinking water, and peeing/pooping normally. I'm a bit scared but hopefully the vet can figure out what's going on 😔

Next is Arwen (who is also eating, sleeping, drinking water, and peeing/pooping normally). These last 7 days have been so exhausting for me that I didn't think of taking daily pictures of the incisions to monitor the healing until last night. So I really can't remember what it looked like day 2-5. But here are pictures of April 10 and 11 (Day 6 and 7).

April 10 (10 pm last night)
IMG_5879.jpeg

IMG_5887.jpeg

IMG_5893.jpeg

April 11 (9:40 am, this morning)
IMG_5949.jpeg

IMG_5951.jpeg

As you can see the skin around it has less hair, and there are some shiny spots (dry, it's not wet) around the incision.
So I'm not sure if these are normal or not. It's not hot to the touch, or bleeding, or smelly, or wet. And other than the dry shiny patches, there is no discharge. Unless it's just thin dried discharge 😓 I don't know!
The problem is that Arwen keeps getting out of her jacket. I gave her frontline night of April 10, and put a soft cone onto her breakaway collar. In the morning, she had wriggled out of her cage, her cone, her collar, and her jacket. The cage was my fault, since I didn't think she would push the wood blocks on the roof away from the gap between the bin with litter box and the cage adjoined to it. She also knocked over her water. She was in the shed so she couldn't get outside, but I don't know a) how long she was out of the cage and collar, cone, jacket; b) if she licked herself or jumped/ran to open incision; and c) how long ago her water got knocked over, and of she/her incision/the frontline area got wet. She was completely dry, so I'm hoping that it had happened recently and that she had remained dry. But I don't know.

Again,
I'm going to call the vet asap, but wanted to see if anyone had input or advice. Thank you in advance!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you here. Éowyn sounds like she might be in some sort of pain, And, since you can't check her incision without an attack, she probably should just be checked out by the vet to see what is going on. I don't think spaying is going to change her personality like that, so I am guessing there is something else going on, and pain or discomfort may be the issue.

As far as Arwen, the only thing I can see is that the incision might have opened up a bit - which can happen depending on what they use - glue, for example. It probably isn't an issue, but since you likely should have Eowyn looked at, you might as well let the vet take a look at Arwen while you are at it.

It is so funny the changes in what vets do nowadays from many years ago. When Feeby was spayed (~17 years ago), there were no collars, no jackets and really no restrictions. She may have been on pain meds for a day or two, but that was about it - and, she had no issues.

Nonetheless, until they are checked by a vet, indoor only for your kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you here. Éowyn sounds like she might be in some sort of pain, And, since you can't check her incision without an attack, she probably should just be checked out by the vet to see what is going on. I don't think spaying is going to change her personality like that, so I am guessing there is something else going on, and pain or discomfort may be the issue.

As far as Arwen, the only thing I can see is that the incision might have opened up a bit - which can happen depending on what they use - glue, for example. It probably isn't an issue, but since you likely should have Eowyn looked at, you might as well let the vet take a look at Arwen while you are at it.

It is so funny the changes in what vets do nowadays from many years ago. When Feeby was spayed (~17 years ago), there were no collars, no jackets and really no restrictions. She may have been on pain meds for a day or two, but that was about it - and, she had no issues.

Thank you for your feedback!! That sounds good, I'll do that! Hopefully they can get me an appointment asap. Both girls were in separate cages for 6 days in my house and then the rest of the days we moved the cages back into their shed. They are barn cats (I forgot to mention that) so that's where the live. I will give updates as I can!

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your feedback!! That sounds good, I'll do that! Hopefully they can get me an appointment asap. Both girls were in separate cages for 6 days in my house and then the rest of the days we moved the cages back into their shed. They are barn cats (I forgot to mention that) so that's where the live. I will give updates as I can!

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I called the vet, but had to leave a message 😥 hopefully they get back to me soon.

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I managed to check Éowyn's incison and it looks great! The sides are touching, no bleeding, etc. So I think there must be some internal pain going on. But at least it doesn't seem to be infected 😮💨

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So an update for anyone following along, I finally got in contact with the vet, and she thinks it's Éowyn's hormones that are making her aggressive, since she was in heat the time of spaying. It might take a few weeks for them to fizzle out. I'm emailing the vet Arwen's pictures now, so we'll see what she says!

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright, today's marathon is almost over 😅
I just got back from picking up some antibiotics for Arwen, the vet prescribed them because she said it could be discharge in the incision and this will fix that. The course is two weeks, so hopefully this will be just a memory soon 🫣

On the topic though, does anyone have tips for administering oral antibiotics? Anything I should know?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope the antibiotics help! There are a ton of ways to try to give antibiotics, both in pill form and in liquid. I'll provide the links to some TCS articles on various ways to do so. It really is all about experimenting to find what works for you and your cat.

Liquid meds, if not given directly with an oral syringe, can be hidden in lickable treats, a bite of 'special' food, or even baby food meat. I don't recommend using her regular canned food, to help avoid an aversion to it, unless she is OK with getting it that way.
Pilling Cats [Must-Know Tips For Hiding Pills] - TheCatSite
How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat? [Stress-Free Techniques] - TheCatSite

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope the antibiotics help! There are a ton of ways to try to give antibiotics, both in pill form and in liquid. I'll provide the links to some TCS articles on various ways to do so. It really is all about experimenting to find what works for you and your cat.

Liquid meds, if not given directly with an oral syringe, can be hidden in lickable treats, a bite of 'special' food, or even baby food meat. I don't recommend using her regular canned food, to help avoid an aversion to it, unless she is OK with getting it that way.
Pilling Cats [Must-Know Tips For Hiding Pills] - TheCatSite
How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat? [Stress-Free Techniques] - TheCatSite
My bad, I forgot to say it is oral 😬 I don't have treats, so I'll have to see if she'll take it directly. Thanks for the articles!

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anotherrr question: since Arwen is most likely infected, after Day 10 (when they are supposed to be unconfined) should I keep her bodysuit on and keep her in the shed for the entire two weeks of antibiotics? Or let her out like normal but keep the bodysuit on? I forgot to ask the vet and they are closed until Monday.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No reason to confine her just because she is on antibiotics. But, then I am not familiar with free-range cats that can get into anything they want because they are outdoors. What might happen in that case is that she gets into something that could extend/exacerbate the infection in her body.

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No reason to confine her just because she is on antibiotics. But, then I am not familiar with free-range cats that can get into anything they want because they are outdoors. What might happen in that case is that she gets into something that could extend/exacerbate the infection in her body.
Okay. I might let her out (with the bodysuit on) for monitored play time, and then when the incision looks healed, go back to normal life.

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Arwen licked at the syringe a couple times before I could get it in her mouth, and she actually seemed to like it! It was very easy getting it down the hatch, thank God 😅

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little update on Èowyn...Last night I was able to hold and pet her for almost 30 mins, she even fell asleep on me! Eventually she started getting claw-y toward my jacket, so I put her back I was finally able to get a picture, what do you think of her incision? I can't tell if it's a scab or something else 😥
I'll email a picture to the vet on Monday when they open too.

Picture from last night (sorry it's blurry):
IMG_6047.jpeg

IMG_6048.jpeg

Picture from this morning: it looks a little red, I'm hoping that if is an infection, she'll take her medicine well 😩
IMG_6052.jpeg

This morning she also was more like herself. I think I held her about 20 minutes before she started biting at my jacket again. So hopefully she'll be back to normal soon.

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And here's Arwen's pictures from last night and this morning...still not looking great, but the antibiotics haven't kicked in, I'm sure.

last night:
IMG_5995.jpeg

This morning:
IMG_6058.jpeg

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I'm happy to say that Arwen and Éowyn are doing great, their incisions have healed almost completely, despite Arwen's infection (three more days of antibiotics 🥳); and they are now back in the great outdoors. I can tell that they are so happy now 🥹
IMG_6606.jpeg