Country kitties- do you call this "hoarding" too?

meowerpower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been lurking here and until then never heard the term "hoarding." I know that applies to people who keep large numbers of animals in bad conditions. What do you call it when people have 30 or more outside cats? I have always thought this was a good thing and never had any problem with it, but reading here makes me think maybe some of you would call this a hoarding? The animals I am talking about live in the country and in barns. They do eat mice, but the people who own the land put out kitty feed too. It's true most of them are never operated on or vaccinated, but they seem to live relatively long and healthy lives. I don't think they would make great pets. I have nothing but praise for people who would allow such colonies to live on their land. Some people would just shoot them or have them taken away. If this should be moved to the feral forum that's okay. Thank you.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am doing an article on hoarding or collecting- and basically collectors are the people who accumulate so many cats that they stop caring for them. This in no way means that people who feed ferals outside are hoarders, they are more like kitty caretakers. Hoarding or collecting is when the animals are not being kept in a good quality of life and are dying off and not being removed for whatever reason. Some people argue it is a sickness or a mental impulse unable to be controlled. I am still on the fence with that explanation.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by MeowerPower
I have nothing but praise for people who would allow such colonies to live on their land. Some people would just shoot them or have them taken away
My brother-in-law lives on a farm, and I think he is the type of person you are refering to. He gets very upset with people who just let their pets out of the car in the middle of nowhere, and expect them to either survive on their own or get rescued. For many years he has been allowing cats who have been abandoned along the road to stay in his barn. Many of these cats are in very poor condition when they first arrive, and they are given necessary veterinary attention. Some of these cats are friendly, and others have become either feral or semi-feral. All the cats are free to come and go at will.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Lorie D.
Originally posted by MeowerPower

He gets very upset with people who just let their pets out of the car in the middle of nowhere, and expect them to either survive on their own or get rescued.
Do you know what happens to these pets? Most are city dogs that are used to walking on pavement so guess what? They walk along the road and get hit by cars!
I have placed a number of these collarless dogs over the years. (Sorry, I live in the country and get infuriated by some people)

I personally think it's better to try to keep the barn cats neutered, but having shelter, food and water is a very good start.

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say if the barn cats are all neutered/spayed and have at least some vet care it is alright. Rabies is a must. Just one cat with rabies can infect the entire colony. Worming/Flea treatment is also important.