Could my cat have some mix of Sokoke genes in him?

Analaura SM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there!
I live in Portugal and adopted my bestcatfriend around April, when he was 2 months old. When I picked him up I saw the mom, who was an orange outdoor/stray cat that most likely mated with another feral cat. My cat is white and ginger with a beautiful symmetrical pattern, which I have NEVER seen before in other cats (after some research, I found it is called "classic tabby", but still I haven't seen other cats with his pattern). He is also very slim with very big ears and long tail. Ever since I adopted him he has been developping a super funny behaviour, at least for what is classified as "cat behaviour"... he acts more like a dog, and everyone who meets him says that!
He travels with me in planes and trains without trouble, he is utterly friendly with strangers (loves saying hi to people in the streets), walks around with me in a leash (even tries to play with other dogs when he sees them!), plays fetch and is SO EASILY trained - he knows a lot of tricks by now, and he is just 5 months old.

So, after a lot of research I came across pictures of cats that actually have his symmetrical pattern. I got super excited but when I started reading I saw that these are called Sokoke cats, a very rare breed of cat.The behavioural description matches my cat enormously, and also the fact that my cat is rather smallish and slim in comparisson to others. I was wondering if it is possible that he has some Sokoke genes in him? Maybe the father or the grandparents?
I know it sounds unlikely, especially because my cat is ginger. But maybe there is some sort of Sokoke mix in him? Could that be possible?

I attach pictures of my boy, so you see his body shape and pattern - I have a lot haha. I would appreciate any sort of help or comments, as it is the first time I own a cat and have no big knowledge on breeds, apart from the research I've been doing myself (:

Attachments

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
você vive em Portugal? Bem legal! Que gatão! Qual o nome dele?

Truth be told, he could pass for a brazilian shorthair: sleek build, sharp intelligence and social skills. He could almost pass for Pimenta's brother, they both have very similar features

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a stunner for sure and he sounds amazing, you are lucky to have him. My Tess, a dsh tortie was like that, she traveled everywhere with me and was friendly to everyone, but less dog like. I doubt he is part Sokoke They are very rare and only seem to be bred in the UK and Europe with very few few available. He does have some similarities with the long hind legs. But I think he looks more oriental overall. I think his color/ pattern is a ginger classic tabby bicolor tuxedo. I have never seen such a deep red and his eyes look orange in that pic where he is sniffing the berries, which is one of the rarest cat eye colors. I love the way his I think left front leg is white while the other is patterned.

I made a collage of him with pb Sokoke cat pics.

DED1FC94-C257-4C75-BD1F-AECF63D9DA2E.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Analaura SM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
você vive em Portugal? Bem legal! Que gatão! Qual o nome dele?

Truth be told, he could pass for a brazilian shorthair: sleek build, sharp intelligence and social skills. He could almost pass for Pimenta's brother, they both have very similar features
lucho lucho Sim, em Aveiro (é perto do Porto) :D Ele chama-se o Ibuki!

That is pretty interesting! Indeed the small face looks like brazilian shorthair... nevertheless, I adopted him in Portugal, I don't know how likely it is to have brazilian cats here! o_o But who knows, maybe it is possible considering that there is a lot of brazilian people around here :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Analaura SM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But I think he looks more oriental overall. I think his color/ pattern is a ginger classic tabby bicolor tuxedo. I have never seen such a deep red and his eyes look orange in that pic where he is sniffing the berries, which is one of the rarest cat eye colors. I love the way his I think left front leg is white while the other is patterned.
Meowmee Meowmee Thank you for the collage, that is super gorgeous and makes me think he really looks Sokoke hahahah but yes, I kept reading and this is super unlikely, even tho I adopted him in Europe (: I think it is just a super cool coincidence that he looks so Sokoke-like! And maybe it is due to some oriental genes in his bloodline that he looks so slim, compared to other cats - as you say (:

I agree that his coat and eye colour is sooo unique! He keeps getting more stunning as he grows up (and more crazy hahaha). I was very lucky to find him <3

Thank you a lot for your comments!

Grantrita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there!
I live in Portugal and adopted my bestcatfriend around April, when he was 2 months old. When I picked him up I saw the mom, who was an orange outdoor/stray cat that most likely mated with another feral cat. My cat is white and ginger with a beautiful symmetrical pattern, which I have NEVER seen before in other cats (after some research, I found it is called "classic tabby", but still I haven't seen other cats with his pattern). He is also very slim with very big ears and long tail. Ever since I adopted him he has been developping a super funny behaviour, at least for what is classified as "cat behaviour"... he acts more like a dog, and everyone who meets him says that!
He travels with me in planes and trains without trouble, he is utterly friendly with strangers (loves saying hi to people in the streets), walks around with me in a leash (even tries to play with other dogs when he sees them!), plays fetch and is SO EASILY trained - he knows a lot of tricks by now, and he is just 5 months old.

So, after a lot of research I came across pictures of cats that actually have his symmetrical pattern. I got super excited but when I started reading I saw that these are called Sokoke cats, a very rare breed of cat.The behavioural description matches my cat enormously, and also the fact that my cat is rather smallish and slim in comparisson to others. I was wondering if it is possible that he has some Sokoke genes in him? Maybe the father or the grandparents?
I know it sounds unlikely, especially because my cat is ginger. But maybe there is some sort of Sokoke mix in him? Could that be possible?

I attach pictures of my boy, so you see his body shape and pattern - I have a lot haha. I would appreciate any sort of help or comments, as it is the first time I own a cat and have no big knowledge on breeds, apart from the research I've been doing myself (:
Hello. I think your cat definitely has Sokoke genes in him. I am not a cat expert or anything. Just a lover. But I live a few miles from the Sokoke Forest in Malindi in Kenya. I am always on the lookout for strays w Sokoke genes. Today I saw a beautiful ginger cat and as soon as I figure out how to post a pic I will. And if you are sitting down let me tell you that Vasco de Gama "discovered" Malindi in 1497. He was Portugese.... Your cat has circles...but also the straight lines along the top of his back. Definitely Sokoke. No doubt in my mind.

Grantrita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seen in Malindi today...The pics are not too hot. I was trying to take a vid but couldn't stop him rubbing around my legs...
Screenshot_20220714-000520_Gallery.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. I think your cat definitely has Sokoke genes in him. I am not a cat expert or anything. Just a lover. But I live a few miles from the Sokoke Forest in Malindi in Kenya. I am always on the lookout for strays w Sokoke genes. Today I saw a beautiful ginger cat and as soon as I figure out how to post a pic I will. And if you are sitting down let me tell you that Vasco de Gama "discovered" Malindi in 1497. He was Portugese.... Your cat has circles...but also the straight lines along the top of his back. Definitely Sokoke. No doubt in my mind.
That’s just the classic tabby pattern, nothing to do with breed. The cat you posted is red solid with classic tabby masking, no particular breed or breed heritage.