Cough? Hairball?

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just heard Simon coughing (?). He was hunched a bit (put more weight on his front paws) and made a dry, low-pitched coughing (?) sound. I'm concerned; our new baby is getting over a cold (as most of you know); I'm wondering if Simon's "cough" could be a result of touching paws with her under the door, or if maybe it's an early sign of a hairball that wants to come up? Again, to me, it sounded like a dry, low-pitched cough--several in succession.

Our female goes to the vet Sat. to have her spay stitches out; I didn't intend on bringing Simon with (don't want them to stress out over seeing each other and not sure they should be in such close proximity).

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you giving the kitties anything for hairballs? I would treat it as a hairball and just keep an eye on it for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenk

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My new kitten (separated from Simon by a door they can reach under) is recovering from a cold; that's why I'm leery about Simon's sudden development of a cough. He's never done that before (at least not when I've been around him). The timing of it all makes it more worrisome for me--makes me fear that he's caught the baby's cold.

G

ghostuser

I think you should take him to the vet.
It could be nothing.
It could be just a hairball...
It could be something more severe but whatever it is i'm sure you'll sleep better knowing what it is

sounds like a hairball though... if you're cat had the flu he'd be sneezing too...

does he have a hairball control food?

kitty queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It does sound like a hairball. The dry cough in succession gave me the clue. My cat used to do that, but I put her on hairball treats, and she hardly ever does that. She did it once the other day, but I just gave her an extra treat and haven't heard it since. I give her teo treats every week, and if she starts coughing, then it is OK to give her another. I give treats on Sat. She coughed on Wed, so it was safe to give her more. I wounld look into Purina Essentials Cat treats - Hairball remedy. Thay work for me, and if you want the food, or different cat treats, just look around. There are a lot of different varieties. I would take the cat to the vet just to be on the safe side. You never know with a cat. Good luck!

lovekg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I would say treat as a hairball too. If the cat continues to cough then go to the vet ASAP. I thought my cat had hairball because she was coughing too but I found out that she had an upper respiratory infection!