Cornish hen wings nom nom nom

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a bit long (five minutes) because I didn't do any editing. I wanted to be able to observe details of how they eat the wings. They had the wing tip (wingette?) and the second part.

I cut the second part in four pieces, left the wingette whole, but ultimately had to cut Queen Eva's even more. Jennie's jaw muscles are well developed. Queen Eva has a small head, and perhaps needs more practice. She is starting to be able to handle larger chunks of meat so maybe in time she can handle slightly bigger bone portions.

One thing I observed here is the way they move the chunk from one side to the other (effectively getting dental benefit on both sides! :D)

Also, especially with Queen Eva, the way a cats jaws go up and down rather than rotate and grind the way humans do.

Another observation I made here is that a cat really won't try to eat something that is too big or too hard. They just let it drop out of the mouth and try something else. At least in Queen Eva's case.

Later, Queen Eva ate her PMR supper fine (gizzards and liver) but did not want her final meal of the night at 11:30 p.m. Wonder if the bone gave her a bit of a tummy ache, though she only had about .5 (point five) ounces total of the wing meal. (Jennie had 1.15 oz.) Queen Eva's appetite is normal this morning.

Anyway, it is very interesting to watch this, I notice something different every time I do (it's a bit blurry because I let youtube edit the 'shakiness', and when youtube edits, it always makes the images less sharp for some reason:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I look forward to giving Ritz bone almost as much as she does eating bone.

Ritz:  cause she like to eat.  Anything!

Me:  cause it takes her longer than five seconds to eat an ounce of raw meat/bone.

And I also have observed that if the piece is too big or hard, she'll not eat it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jennie really loves a meal that gives her jaws and teeth a good work out. I really should work on letting her have more bone in her diet, (I was lingering over a bag of frozen wings at the store yesterday) how she loves crunching them! She does at least eat larger chunks of meat. Her 1.1 ounce PMR meals consist of much bigger pieces than the other two get, some are close to an inch square. She revels in it!

I was hoping with the addition of PMR to her diet she would be satisfied enough that she would lose some of her food anxiety, but it hasn't happened that way. At least not yet.

catclan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting to watch, definitely reminded me of footage of cats with whole prey in captivity or in the wild.

And Queen Eva is such a sweetie when you brush her teeth (dental product thread). I'm jealous. Fire and Smoke let us get the job done, but even so, it is a two-person job. :lol3:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for posting that! I noticed Aria doing that side to side and back chomping motion when eating raw, but I didn't know if that was natural or not since I've never seen her actually chew before. She looks exactly like Jennie eating although Aria has not had bone yet and still spits larger meat chunks out. If I chop the pieces pretty finely she will eat them even if some chewing is required, but larger chunks still get left behind. I guess after 6 or 7 years of not really having to chew, she needs to rebuild those muscles, but I am hopeful.

I'm off to watch some more of your videos. Thanks so much for taking the time to post them. They're very informative and instructional for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're welcome. I like watching it and seeing how they eat. I have some others of them eating raw, too, in my introduction to raw thread. Of course if you're ever bored you can always watch all 100 videos I have of my cats so far on youtube, :lol3::lol3::lol3:

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't laugh because I have watched more than a few of your videos.