Cone and ears

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!
My cat recently had her spay surgery done (Thursday) and ever since then she has been wearing the plastic e-collar. I noticed yesterday that she now has bumps and blisters on her ears. Has anyone else experienced the same thing with their cat? She gets acne on her chin when we used to have plastic bowls so I’m wondering if it’s the same thing or if I should be concerned since the bumps are quite numerous

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't had that happen, but I can see how it would happen.

At this point, 6 days after surgery, I'd feel comfortablr removing the cone and keeping an eye on her. If you don't, maybe get some medical tape and line the inside edge of the cone with it.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never experienced that with plastic cones, but I very rarely use them. I prefer to use post surgical suits or soft or padded cones where possible (all of which are available from Amazon and other retailers). My vets even have a few different options available to buy. Its all a case of finding what suits your cat best.

As Kieka Kieka says, though, I'd be tempted to try her without the cone at this point. Just keep a close eye on her in case she goes after her stitches.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
awww, poor baby - can you obtain a different style/material cone? Although blisters sounds like a really dramatic reaction to the cone, unless something irritating got on the cone? Is her neck having the same thing? I'm thinking that you might take a photo or two and send them to your vet just to double-check.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the vet since they aren’t doing in person appointments unless it an emergency and they say it’s most likely a similar reaction to her plastic allergy on her chin. They recommend getting a fabric donut collar to help. I checked her neck and she doesn’t have any reaction but I think that’s due to her having a really thick mane and the cone being attached to her leather collar as opposed to resting on the neck itself

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
By the way, try Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 's advice, for her ears;

Use PLAIN, unblended tea bags from the grocery store. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and apply with a soft cloth several times a day. Chamomile tea is a mild bacteriocide and fungicide and is VERY soothing to all sorts of "skin ouchies".

DO use commercial tea bags. They are all made with GERMAN chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats, both externally and, in proper dosages, internally (for stress). Won't hurt a thing if she were to ingest any. The chamomile that grows in most gardens is ENGLISH, is useless as a medicine, and is TOXIC to cats.

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never experienced that with plastic cones, but I very rarely use them. I prefer to use post surgical suits or soft or padded cones where possible (all of which are available from Amazon and other retailers). My vets even have a few different options available to buy. Its all a case of finding what suits your cat best.

As Kieka Kieka says, though, I'd be tempted to try her without the cone at this point. Just keep a close eye on her in case she goes after her stitches.
I called the vet just now and they recommend a fabric donut collar, I’ll definitely be looking into a surgical suit if she ever has surgery again though! Poor girl has not been adjusting well to the cone 😅

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't had that happen, but I can see how it would happen.

At this point, 6 days after surgery, I'd feel comfortablr removing the cone and keeping an eye on her. If you don't, maybe get some medical tape and line the inside edge of the cone with it.
I called her vet and they recommend a fabric donut collar, they say it’s basically her plastic allergy just in her ears now. She’s been itching to go at her incision otherwise I’d just take it off haha

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
By the way, try Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 's advice, for her ears;

Use PLAIN, unblended tea bags from the grocery store. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and apply with a soft cloth several times a day. Chamomile tea is a mild bacteriocide and fungicide and is VERY soothing to all sorts of "skin ouchies".

DO use commercial tea bags. They are all made with GERMAN chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats, both externally and, in proper dosages, internally (for stress). Won't hurt a thing if she were to ingest any. The chamomile that grows in most gardens is ENGLISH, is useless as a medicine, and is TOXIC to cats.
Didn’t know there was a difference between the two, will be trying this out for sure thanks so much!