Computer difficulties.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here are a couple threads on it.  The first one says to turn off clear history upon shutdown.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/997918

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/991695
The fix suggests to ensure that Firefox is NOT set to clear History on Close down, but the default setting is Remember history. Unless someone has manually set Firefox to clear history on shutdown, it shouldn't.

I was getting the same message as blueyedgirl, on one of my machines that is running with XP/Microsoft Essentials and Firefox 29.0. Since rolling back to version 28.0, I no longer get the message. This definitely seems to be a bug in version 29.0. 

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The looks of the new toolbar is the least of my worries. I am still dealing with getting this message about every third time I close Firefox and try to open it again.
Firefox is alrady running. To open a you window, you must first close the existing Firefox process or restart your system.

Now I have tried disabling every add on that I have and it still happened. I tried closing it with the task manager when there were two processes running there. None of it helped I have moved all my favorites over to I/E and it looks like I am going to be forced to go back to using that. I really liked Firefox, but this hanging stuff is for the birds.
I can deal with the new look, but not having to constantly reboot my computer. Any suggestions.
That is quite strange that after ending Firefox in task manager you can't restart it? There shouldn't be more than one process for firefox running, unless there is some add-on program running in the background that gets invoked when you use certain websites.

Another possibility for this issue is some incompatibility between Firefox and Microsoft Security Essentials. Given that support for Microsoft Essentials in XP is coming to an end, now would be a good time to go with something else like Avast, and remove Microsoft Security Essentials to see if this fixes the problem.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is quite strange that after ending Firefox in task manager you can't restart it? There shouldn't be more than one process for firefox running, unless there is some add-on program running in the background that gets invoked when you use certain websites.

Another possibility for this issue is some incompatibility between Firefox and Microsoft Security Essentials. Given that support for Microsoft Essentials in XP is coming to an end, now would be a good time to go with something else like Avast, and remove Microsoft Security Essentials to see if this fixes the problem.
When I ended Firefox in task manager, I could restart it. But it didn't keep it from hanging up again after using it for awhile I am not running Windows XP, so I don't want to do away with Microsoft Essentials. My computer is Windows 7. I read that you were getting the same message until you went back to Firefox 28. I have concern about that because I read that users should not be forced to revert back to old versions. You would have to set them to not receive any updated and that leaves your browser vulnerable.

Also can somebody here look under their privacy settings and let me know what the default settings are there, I will try that and see it it works. I had changed some things there about the remember history, cookies, 3rd party cookies, etc.

Last edited:

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I ended Firefox in task manager, I could restart it. But it didn't keep it from hanging up again after using it for awhile I am not running Windows XP, so I don't want to do away with Microsoft Essentials. My computer is Windows 7. I read that you were getting the same message until you went back to Firefox 28. I have concern about that because I read that users should not be forced to revert back to old versions. You would have to set them to not receive any updated and that leaves your browser vulnerable.

Also can somebody here look under their privacy settings and let me know what the default settings are there, I will try that and see it it works. I had changed some things there about the remember history, cookies, 3rd party cookies, etc.
Oh, I was under the impression that you were running Windows XP. Well, good that you can restart FF. Yes, you do have to tell FF not to update in order not to get the alerts for new browser versions. For now I am going to stick with version 28.0. As long as anti-virus definitions are up-to-date and firewall is enabled, there shouldn't be a problem running with the same version indefinitely, or at least until Mozilla fixes the bug.

In your privacy settings there is a drop-down menu at the History section. This is normally set to 'Remember History' by default. If you changed something, it is probably currently set to either 'Never remember history' or  'Use custom settings for history'.

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have concern about that because I read that users should not be forced to revert back to old versions. You would have to set them to not receive any updated and that leaves your browser vulnerable.

Generally, that is true. Updates are pushed out for various reasons; sometimes a vendor may find a vulnerability in a previous version, so they push out a patch in order to fix the vulnerability. Sometimes updates merely include fixes and added features. To a normal user, there typically isn't a reason to revert back to old versions, as there is always a risk that you are reverting back to a version where the vulnerability existed, if you don't know what you're doing.

However, in your case, 29 clearly isn't working right for you, so on @oneandahalfcats  advice, it's okay to revert back one version. You wouldn't want to revert back more than one version, for example, as you increase the risk that you revert back to a "bad" version. 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What version of Windows are you running? I briefly read through the thread and I didn't see it.

Have you considered that maybe it's not a browser issue? Have you ever run a registry repair software before.

I find that this usually fixes a lot of issues in one fell swoop. A freeware called Advanced System Care. Just watch and read all the screens when installing it. You may end up with some unwanted programs if you don't.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What version of Windows are you running? I briefly read through the thread and I didn't see it.

Have you considered that maybe it's not a browser issue? Have you ever run a registry repair software before.

I find that this usually fixes a lot of issues in one fell swoop. A freeware called Advanced System Care. Just watch and read all the screens when installing it. You may end up with some unwanted programs if you don't.
In post 45 I stated I was using Windows 7. I have never done a registry repair. The reason I think it is a browser issue is because everything was working fine until I got the new version of Firefox.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In post 45 I stated I was using Windows 7. I have never done a registry repair. The reason I think it is a browser issue is because everything was working fine until I got the new version of Firefox.
Oh, I didn't realize you'd added this to an old thread. Always better to start a new one I say. Just my 2 cents.

Can you not roll back to the previous version? While the browser has running and having the issue, what's your CPU usage like? Have you tried an uninstall/reinstall? You can save your settings.

Last edited: