“complementary” Cat Food

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I grabbed a bunch of pouch food when I was in PetSmart and just noticed that it isn’t really cat food, it’s some sort of topper/snack.

Perhaps these have been around for awhile, but it looks like an excellent way to set some cats up for malnutrition.

What are these used for?

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are treats, toppers or some people use them just to give their cat a little moist food when they are already getting all of their actual nutrition from kibble.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we first adopted Cricket, she wouldn't eat. The first thing I was able to get her to eat was Fancy Feast Broths, which is probably something like what you are talking about. For some time, that was the only wet I could get her to eat, so she got her Kibble, and her broths on the side. I don't think they are very good at making sure people know these are NOT food, but just treats, and I imagine more than one person has been fooled by them.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They probably should be better labeled. In my local pet store they are shelved with treats but the grocery store has them mixed in with food. They are exactly what the appear to be, a topper for other food to enhance the other food or a treat. My guys get all their nutrition from high quality kibble but I give them a topper as their dinner/a treat when they come in for evening curfew. I figure it increases their water a little and is better then Temptations or another treat. Most of the time Link will top off with some kibble after he finishes his bowl of the topper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Exactly - it’s mixed right in with the cat food. I guarantee you that a lot of people would not even consider it’s an incomplete food and their cat could become ill.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are responsible pet owner Youll hopefully look on the package and make sure the food is aafco approved and complete and balanced. Every supplementary food I’ve seen clearly states it is supplementary on the front and not meant to be fed over 10-20% of the cat/dogs diet. Hopefully people know what they are buying before they buy it too. Maybe it’s just me but i scan every package, can, or bag of food before I buy it but maybe not everyone does that.