Coloring of this kitten?

gmm80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I work with a rescue and recently trapped a litter of kittens that were living under a concrete porch. There's an orange/white tabby, a calico, and a third guy. I'm not quite sure what to call the third guy's coloring. He's lighter than what I would consider buff, but darker than cream, and he has flame point type markings as well. His eyes are currently pale gray.

Here are some pics. (the pic of the toes is irrelevant, but I think his feet are adorable :))

What would you call his coloring?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert, but I want to chime in with my adoration of all these kittens!! They all look so different, yet all are adorable!!! My guess is that yes, he's got a flame point, but that's my non expert guess, not an opinion.

I'm staggered by the bright orange kitten though! He's very ginger! And your calico...sigh...all adorable. Mama must be a stunner. Is she calico as well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gmm80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aren't they just gorgeous? It took me three days to trap them. The first day I caught the orange/white guy and I thought their mom, but it turned out to be their dad. (his pics below) The second day I almost caught the other two, but mom showed up just in time to scare them off, so I left the trap baited, but not set, to get them used to going in and out to eat. And then on day three, I caught the cream guy early in the morning. I was worried I wouldn't catch the calico because it's below freezing here in Washington state and she wouldn't have her brothers to keep her warm, but I finally got her late in the afternoon. Mom is a DSH orange tabby. She's leery of the trap, so I've been having the neighbor guy put food in it all week. Hopefully, it's her only source of food and she'll go in and out to eat and I'll be able to trap her later in the week.

Dad, now named Romeo (such a sweet boy!) We had him in for a bath and haircut because he was covered in mats and fleas and absolutely filthy.

This is the entrance to their "home," a concrete porch on a currently unoccupied house.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see daddy is red, and momma is a tortie.  So chances are big our little point ("siamese-mix") is too red in point, ie flame point in cat fanciers language.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say the mama cat is a red tabby? If so, the red tom isn't the daddy, at least not of the calico. If both parents are red tabbies all the kittens will be too. Must have been a dark-colored fluffy tom hanging around :D. Are the other 2 both boys?

Anyway, yeah, I'd say the kitten in question is pointed, although in the picture with his siblings he just looks cream. But in the other picture you can see his ears and nose are darker. So he's a point, but not high-contrast like purebred breeders prefer. So both parents must carry the pointed gene.

Do all the kittens have extra toes?

Last edited:

gmm80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah, okay. I was told by some ladies that work in the building across the street from the house that the male I trapped was the baby daddy, but of course, that was only based on their observations of the cats they had seen hanging around the area. The other two are both boys, but only the cream/pointed boy has the extra toes. He has one extra on each foot.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you used knock out drops on daddy, or did he let you bathe and haircut voluntarily?   If voluntarily, he cant be no ferale...

Even if human friendly ferale toms arent unheard of.

I see I saw partly wrong earlier, the calico isnt momma, its a bigger sis.   Still, both littermates carry red, so he too is heavy favorite for red. - here - flame.   :)

His eyes arent good blue, but they not always are.  Esp not in moggies where they arent breed for good eye color.

gmm80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ   - no, the male isn't feral at all, just an outdoor kitty that ended up in the trap. The kittens are more feral than he is, but they are coming along well. They were being fed by neighbors, but no one had been able to catch or touch any of them. As of yesterday, I have gotten both boys to purr and fall asleep in my lap. The calico is a much tougher customer, she hisses quite a lot, somewhat tolerates being held. They are around 3 months old, they would be easier to tame if they were a month younger, but I think it can still be done with a little patience.