Color? Breed?

Elizabeth Sanders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This was clearly a stray I rescued from a parking lot. She is not truly white but rather “off-white”. Is there an official name for this color? She was heavily matted and needed a shave- and shaved she looks true white.
IMG_0687.jpeg
IMG_0757.jpeg

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Firstly, unlike most stray cats who are random bred, I think we can say with certainty that your gorgeous girl is either a Persian or has significant ancestry from a Persian or exotic (a shorthaired breed with Persian features). Her face shape is unmistakeable.

Protip: Persian cats need help grooming themselves. If you are planning to keep her coat long, be prepared to brush her. Otherwise, you can keep her trimmed, although you won't need to keep her cropped as short as she is currently. Persians are also prone to tear staining, which is a build up of gunk around their eyes. You can see she has a bad case of this in the top picture, probably because nobody has been looking after the poor baby. So you may need to gently wipe around her eyes with a damp cloth at regular intervals to prevent another build-up.

Colour wise, the likelihood is that she is a white cat whose coat was stained or had faded from exposure to sunlight and/or a heat source. In this case, you'll know when her new coat grows in as it will be pure white. The other possibility would be her being a very light cream, which is the dilute version of orange, or a cream colourpoint. However, if this was the case, I'd expect to see tabby markings on her face and legs, as cream cats always have these.

Whatever the case, she already looks so much better and happier for a bath and a loving furrever home. Thank you for taking this beauty in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elizabeth Sanders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Saudi Arabia and there is a large feral population in my city. Persians- especially white ones are very popular as pets but sometimes end up on the street- and they don’t do well in the heat and competing for food with ferals. There is a resistance to neutering which I think fuels them getting out.
This poor baby has an eye infection and the discharge has been improving with treatment. Like you said I understand it’s possible she will be prone to weepy eyes and staining. When she’s fully healed and spayed she’ll be free to a good home- I already have too many cats- but I couldn’t leave her.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd agree your cream girl is probably also Persian, just of a more traditional type. Both gorgeous cats. I feel really bad for all those Persians, because as you say, hard for cats with such extreme typing, not to mention naturally sweet and docile natures, to compete with ferals who probably come from long lines of hardy random bred landrace mogs. Thank you for doing so much for these cats. I hope your sweet white(?) girl finds a wonderful home with people who will take care of her for the rest of her life. My heart just bleeds for her with that cut on her side, but looking so sweet. Honestly, I'd take her if it wasn't for the fact that I live in the UK, have allergies to some cats (so Persians are a no go), and already have two hyper domestic shorthairs who'd probably bully her. She just seems to scream nice little cat who just needs love.

Elizabeth Sanders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s very sweet. The cut on her side is healing very well- and the vet said just let it continue healing on its own. He suspects she was hit by a car- in which case she’s been very fortunate. I suspect she may be a bit of a Steel Magnolia. ☺

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s very sweet. The cut on her side is healing very well- and the vet said just let it continue healing on its own. He suspects she was hit by a car- in which case she’s been very fortunate. I suspect she may be a bit of a Steel Magnolia. ☺
Agree with above comments.
Your cream is possibley a shirazi persian, a breed common enough in the Orient... Ie a persian of older type, not so extreme as modern persinas.

Re finding a home to the new white. Warning to giving away "to a good home for free"! Unless yoi KNOW the receiver and KNOW the cat will be seen as a precious gem gift, do not give away for free. Because many tend to think what is for free is virtually worthless, or use them for sparring for dig fights, or similiar.... Nay, demand payment or equivalent. Say, recompensation for half of your vet cots, say the spaying - which any good owner must do anyway.

Elizabeth Sanders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agree with above comments.
Your cream is possibley a shirazi persian, a breed common enough in the Orient... Ie a persian of older type, not so extreme as modern persinas.

Re finding a home to the new white. Warning to giving away "to a good home for free"! Unless yoi KNOW the receiver and KNOW the cat will be seen as a precious gem gift, do not give away for free. Because many tend to think what is for free is virtually worthless, or use them for sparring for dig fights, or similiar.... Nay, demand payment or equivalent. Say, recompensation for half of your vet cots, say the spaying - which any good owner must do anyway.
I understand what you are saying. I am frankly hesitant to give her to anyone. If she can get along with my cats I will likely keep her. Unfortunately everyone is on edge as we just moved last week. But I’ll see how we can do.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless yoo KNOW the receiver and KNOW the cat will be seen as a precious gem gift, do not give away for free. Because many tend to think what is for free is virtually worthless...
There is an old saying, I believe by Goethe... (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

"Men value most, things which come at a cost."