Coccidia

nicoleakers84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been treating two feral cats with panacur, albon, and probiotic. They have both had 5 doses and today will be the 6th. How long does it usually take to see results from medication? They have been vetted and also given pyrantel. Can anyone tell me what I can do to stop diarrhea? Does anyone also know how long it usually takes for symptoms of coccidia to stop after treatment.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My younger one was treated for asymptomatic coccidia with Albon. Honestly do not remember at this point how many doses or for how long she was treated.

Her poops were fine but once she started the medication they became soft - vet explained it was due to the medication doing it's job and to expect it to last a couple of weeks or so. If I remember right it took about 2 weeks for her soft stools to return back to normal once treated. The only reason I remember that part is we had to keep her separated a couple of weeks more than expected from our older cat because of the coccidia and I have photos of when we first allowed them together.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have dealt with this several times. Most of the cats recovered after the meds were finished but one kitten had been on her own outside long enough to get several issues beside the coccidia. She had parasites and the combination made recovery slower. It took two rounds of the medicine but she did get better after the second one. Unfortunately it need to run the course. Keep them hydrated and keep everything as clean as you can. I disposed of litter daily and removed litter boxes to clean with a mix of diluted Clorox afterwards. Bedding and all other things were cleaned thoroughly too. Puppy pee pads under everything made life easier until the meds worked. Hang in there! Bravo for helping those ferals!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As for litterboxes - I opted to use disposable boxes for that timeframe. Scooped as soon as she did her business and it made it easier not to have to fully wash out a box weekly. The disposable boxes hold up pretty well too. Once she was done with meds and all side effects cleared we let her out and she went immediately found where the "big girl" boxes lived.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicoleakers84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice and sharing your experiences everyone. It is much appreciated