Co-mothering Cats! Help!

ashleeyhope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have two related female cats. (Mom and daughter) and I kept putting off getting them spayed since they don't go outside. Well, lesson learned. They both got pregnant when they escaped for two weeks because my roomie left the door open one day. So, about a week ago they gave birth, literally 24 hours apart. I had been reading about co-mothering in cats and sure enough, when the daughters kittens were born the mom was always in her box helping care for the kittens, 24 hours later the daughter cat did the same for the mom. Everyhing was fine till about three days ago. The daughter cat is very young and it's her first litter, you can tell she is very nervous about being a mom. She started moving the kittens around, so I figured I would take the kittens I thought were hers (the kittens are basically identical I can't tell who's is who's) and move them into a box where she wanted them. All was well until my older cat, the momma cat, noticed the kittens weren't in the nest they had originally been in, and she moved them back!! So now the daughter cat is visibly nervous, cooing at the kittens constantly, and still she is moving them to various places arund the house. She won't stop. I don't have a separate room I can put them in as my roommate refuses to let the cats in his room bc of kitten meows, and to be quite honest I'm a little nervous that the daughter cat is so nervous she wouldn't take proper care of them without the momma cats help. But she can't keep moving them they are still so young and I'm nervous she will accidentally hurt one. What do I do?? She was fine all day yesterday but this morning I woke up to the daughter cat and four kittens on my bed lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleeyhope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The daughter kitty did it again just now. She moved one of the kittens, which isn't actually her baby, into the kithen on the floor. My floor is quite cold so idk if I should put a towel down and let her be with the one kitten or what?? Could this be from me handling them??? I try not to touch them but I had to move them back. Ugh and right now, as I am writing this here comes the other momma to take her kitten back. What do i do!!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps try with a cage of some sort - may be for all of them together. Your handling shouldnt matter, but as she is nervouus. Cage may also help her to. Feel safe protected

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A ashleeyhope

First, keep both moms and all kittens in your room only with food, water, and litter nearby.

You are right that the kittens should not be moved all over the house. So keep your bedroom door closed.

How many kittens are there total?

Are both moms nursing them?

A large dog crate would be ideal until the kittens are about 4 weeks old. Can you buy or borrow one?

If not, can you put them in your closet with the door cracked? Cats love dark, private places.

Or get a cardboard box that is big enough for all, and cut a door in it for the moms.

Regardless, they need to stay in one room only for now.