Clipped Eared Cats, with both ears clipped?

AHolmes98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a little tuxedo around my neighborhood, and he's got both ears clipped. I know that cats who are feral but have been fixed through TNR have one ear clipped, but this one has both ears clipped. I just wanted to figure out why.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I did some searching, and the only answers I came up with matched what W Willowy said: some kind of injury. I hope s/he is okay otherwise!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for helping this kitten. I have found TNRed cats (not done by my vet) who had either ear tipped. Do you think that one ear is actually tipped vs. both of them being frostbitten?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site - - and thanks for helping this kitty! This site is great for support, for helping you work out any questions you have. So hope that we see more of you! And know that any help/concern showed to any kitties that need it always warms our collective hearts on this site. :thanks:

In my experience, it usually is an ear injury to the non-vet-tipped ear. I’m not sure where you live, but in many places - the US included, ear-tipping to indicate spaying/neutering is done to the kitty’s left ear, with enough being taken off (while under anesthesia for the spay/neuter) that it should look obvious (app. 1 centimeter is taken off). The other ear tip being gone is usually due to either: (1) frostbite - ears are VERY susceptible to frostbite. One of the TNR kitties we care for is ear-tipped bc of the usual reason (getting fixed) - - but the year after we trapped and neutered him, he was attacked by a bigger male who, in a fight, took a chunk out of the kitty we care for’s ear. Unless you knew what he looked like before/know his story - at the right angel, it looks like he’s ear tipped on both ears! But if you can get close enough to really look (binoculars help!), frostbite usually results in a more jagged edge. Or (2) fighting - all it takes is a claws-out swipe by an attacker, and since ears are relatively thin, the attacked kitty will often lose the ear end. Like frost it - it’s usually a more ragged look then a straight ear tip.

I hope we all helped - - and hope you can continue to helping this little guy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AHolmes98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the weird thing is both ears are tipped in the same place, and I can tell it's been a long time since they've healed, I can't take care of him cuz the apartment I live in the landlord won't allow animals unless I pay a $300 pet deposit, so I can't even bring him inside, as much as I really want to. I would love nothing more than to have a cat, he's very sweet. I was informed when I moved in, all the cats around here are feral. but they seem to be taken care of, so I assume the residents are helping with that. most of them run away when they see humans, except for the kittens, they're always curious and friendly. this guy is maybe a year old, he's very friendly and desperately wants to come inside but I can't let him. I will give him pets anytime I see him tho. I just wondered why both ears are tipped in the same place. (sorry for the long comment)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AHolmes98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
theyre both a clean cut as well

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m a “long writer” so don’t worry about comment length. :)

Does sound like 1 (or both) ears were injury or loss of the ear tip(s) to frostbite. A vet would never tip both ears.

It sounds like you’re not in the position monetarily to try bringing her inside, which is very understandable.
But - and I say this bc you obviously care about the kitties - - you could possibly help in ways that don’t involve taking any inside with you OR spending a ton (or any!) money. I hated hearing there are kittens around - - - it sounds like whoever is taking care of them must not be spaying & neutering? If you can find out who’s caring for them, you could offer to help in whatever way you can (be it helping with trapping so they can be fixed so the colony stops growing….or offering to help put together shelters for them (there are lots of inexpensive, easy ways to do that) … or even offering to be a back-up feeder/waterer if help’s needed.

I know what I wrote above isn’t exactly what you came here asking - —. But it sounds like you’re a compassionate person who cares about the kitties, and the world (and probably the colony that’s growing at your complex) can always use more people willing to take care of these guys!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the weird thing is both ears are tipped in the same place, and I can tell it's been a long time since they've healed, I can't take care of him cuz the apartment I live in the landlord won't allow animals unless I pay a $300 pet deposit, so I can't even bring him inside, as much as I really want to. I would love nothing more than to have a cat, he's very sweet. I was informed when I moved in, all the cats around here are feral. but they seem to be taken care of, so I assume the residents are helping with that. most of them run away when they see humans, except for the kittens, they're always curious and friendly. this guy is maybe a year old, he's very friendly and desperately wants to come inside but I can't let him. I will give him pets anytime I see him tho. I just wondered why both ears are tipped in the same place. (sorry for the long comment)
They could be damaged and he is not ear tipped. If there are kittens, these cats are not being taken care of properly. They need to be tnr. Is there any way to get local rescue people to help out here? Try posting on fb stray/ feral groups in your area. They may be able to help tnr the colony and help get this guy adopted. As well as the kittens and any other adoptable cats.

I once tnr a cat who was already tnr because her ear tip looked like an injury. I prefer tattoos since they can’t be confused for an injury.

Last edited: