Clingy Kitten

Samanthalynn244

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently got a new kitten, but have already noticed a huge behavioral flaw: he can’t be alone ever. Now I understand he’s a kitten, so of course he needs attention, but I feel this is a bit extreme. He will not go downstairs to eat or use his litter box unless someone takes him and sits there while he does it. I’m worried because there are times when we’re both at work, and during those times he’s holding his bladder and not eating. If he finds himself shut out of our bedroom or a room we’re in, hell cry until we let him in. Someone recommended we just ignore the cries so he’ll move on to something else, but he never gives it up. We haven’t been getting any sleep because he needs to stay in our bedroom, which if he is in the bedroom he’ll loudly play and bite at our toes all night, but if we shut him out he’ll cry at the door for hours on end. Does anyone have advice for how to help him be more independent?

beeva_h9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long have you had him? My kitten was very attached for the first week or two. I just kept his food, water, and litter box in the room I was most in, my bedroom. And I kept him shut in there while I was gone for a couple weeks. And then I slowly introduced him to the rest of my house and have not recently let him out of the room while I was gone. Your kitten most likely need a safe place, like mine had the bedroom. I hope this helps!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it's normal for 10 week old kittens. they're used to being with their litter mates and mother, and at that age unless they are separated, they are never alone. it's not a behavioral flaw - it's like you adopted a 2 or maybe 3 year old child. they're going to want to be in sight of you every second.

as the kitten ages, he will develop some independence, but some this is a some more than others thing. some cats want to be masters of all they survey while others stay clingy to a degree. each cat has its own personality, and there's only so much you can do about that - just like with humans. our current cat is about to turn 20, and he's always been a clingy cat. his previous - er - roommate was fiercely independent.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds perfectly Normal to me :winkcat:
This site is loaded with articles to assist you over any hurdles. :welcomesign:
Kittens need to feel secure. I suggest setting up litter box/food in washroom or spare bedroom or quarantine if you can in kitchen food/litter etc. as mentioned then let him explore at his own pace. Don't offer run of the house yet. Everything takes time, time to settle in etc. needs to get used to smells and your schedule...leave music TV on when away, play allot 1/2 before you leave feed just before you leave more likely just sleep most of the time. If at all possible can you retrieve any toys or blankets with mom smells on it for security? I took a kitten to work for weeks in a handbag designed for a small dog he became the most popular kitten in town restaurants too is that an option until he's a little older?

Last edited: