Clindamycin - Diarrhea

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I hate to jump in but would Probiotic be OK to give Ku Ku while she's on Metronidazole?

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Yep, very much so!
Thank you

She's been having diarrhea because of the infection & the med.
I gave her a very tiny amount, about pea-sized dosage of the kind I got from health food store(non-dairy vegetarian) but wasn't too sure if it's perfectly safe to keep giving her the one for human.

I'm ordering it from Petco now.
Thank you again

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KKH

Thank you

She's been having diarrhea because of the infection & the med.
I gave her a very tiny amount, about pea-sized dosage of the kind I got from health food store(non-dairy vegetarian) but wasn't too sure if it's perfectly safe to keep giving her the one for human.

I'm ordering it from Petco now.
Thank you again
I never, ever give the kids antibiotics without giving them bene-bac... Metronidazole included. Same thing for food changes, stress, and any time they have diarrhea.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I never, ever give the kids antibiotics without giving them bene-bac... Metronidazole included. Same thing for food changes, stress, and any time they have diarrhea.
I am relieved to hear that

I just ordered it through Petco on-line. I didn't have a choice, the nearest Petco store is almost 1 hour away from here on this island and there's no guarantee that this store has it in stock anyways. I noticed that so many good items I used to purchase while I was in the mainland are not sold in here

Until it's delivered, I'll keep giving Ku Ku a very tiny dosage of what I have now(vegetarian PB 8).

I checked her poo poo this morning, seemed it's almost back to normal. Oh and she doesn't clean herself often like yesterday.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We always have acidophilus on hand for the humans, so when my vet prescribes antibiotics, I give my girls 1/2 capsule twice a day in their wet food concoction. It works very well and is readily available at health food stores, Wal-Mart, and drug stores in the supplements section.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengal lover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, we saw no evidence of Snickers pooping at all Saturday and Sunday, but we know he must have at some point. We didn't see him use the litter box at all, and we know he must have at least urinated. But he seemed to be feeling so unwell (URI) and felt a little hot to me, that I decided to give him the Bene-Bac and Baytril on Sunday night.

WOW, what a difference. Already today he was looking SO much better! He's been running around, playing with toys, playing with the new kitty, and torturing Simba (our other Bengal) all day. Back to normal! I feel bad for Simba ... when I got home he meowed at me and I remarked right away that he sounded hoarse or something. I was concerned he might be getting sick. Well, a few hours later I knew why ... Snickers started chasing him around the house and Simba was literally yelling like a banshee. He is so sensitive and so scared and HATES Snickers chasing him around an wrestling with him! So I had to separate them temporarily again. I don't know how I'll ever get him over that. Simba always screamed about Snickers before, but he's way worse now, ever since Snickers got back from his little escape trip. Killer is, Snickers is 12 pounds and Simba is about 18-20 pounds! Little Freddie is about 7 pounds (7 mo. old) and Simba plays just fine with him, but Snickers is a pretty tough cookie.

Anyway, Snickers' health seems SO much better! He is no longer listless and lethargic and tired all the time. He's got his spunky bengal personality back ... we really missed it!

Thanks so much for all the advice on the antibiotics and Bene-Bac!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear Snickers is improving! Poor kitty has had such a rough time lately. Hopefully this will teach him to not run out the door again!

Bene-bac can be given anytime they get a soft or runny stool. Whether its from meds, food changes, stress, whatever.

Please keep us updated on your beautiful boy