Clicker Training...

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Karen Pryor is where I got all my clicker stuff too. She was a dolphin trainer (one of the first animal training areas to use operant conditioning - they use a whistle, but it's exactly the same principal) and her stuff is really, really good. Very informative and very helpful. She has a great website with loads and loads of good information on it.

Clicker training certainly isn't a fad but it is much more commonly in the vernacular these days than it was 20 years ago, even though it's been around much, much longer. It's like `dominance theory' (don't get me started) and other things - they come and go but are sometimes more popular than not. I think clicker training will be in the forefront for a long time, as people realise how quick and easy it is, and children can also learn to use it with their pets much more easily than other methods of training.

It's not for everyone, and it doesn't have to be the only `right' way to train your dog/cat/bird etc. It's just one of many great ways of training. It has many advantages and lots of people like its ease and speed. But it doesn't mean it's the only way or the best way, either, it depends on who you are and what you like to do. And also how your dog learns, as well, which is very important.

I think that as long as you are using positive, consistent methods, and your dog is learning, based on reward and encouragement, then you are doing the right thing - with or without a clicker.