Clear Fluid in Stomach/Chest. Vet Says Euthanize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokeyblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.. My 19-year-old baby Smokey is in late/end stage renal disease according to the vets, and he recently took a turn for the worse. His hind legs started going very weak, sometimes not working, and he started becoming more spaced out/lethargic. We took him to the emergency vet and they said he had fluid in his stomach and chest, along with edema in his paws/legs. They assume the cause of it is either cancer or heart related, but they said they can't tell without a further battery of tests, x-rays, and ekg (the ekg technician won't even be available until at least Monday if we decided to go that route). The vet recommended euthanasia. I'm really torn on this, I knew it was coming but am not ready at all. I don't want him to suffer, but don't want to give up on him either, and of course want as much time with him as possible. If anyone has any experience with this, advice, or any type of support, I would appreciate it more than I can say. Thanks for your time.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy developed congestive heart failure with ascites (fluid in abdomen) when he reached end stage CKD. Unfortunately, this does happen with CKD and unfortunately, the treatment for CKD vs Heart failure and fluid retention are completely opposite and hinder the other condition. There's really not much that can be done at that point...
Once Toby started to retain the fluid...it wasn't much longer after that, that we had to put him down...It was probably just over a month.
I'm so sorry about your boy, it's never easy, even when they've had a good long life like yours has. My boy was 20, and we were also preparing for it...but nothing really ever prepares you for making the hardest decision you will ever face when having a pet.

If you want to ask me anything specific about my boy, feel free, I don't mind.... :hugs:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi.. My 19-year-old baby Smokey is in late/end stage renal disease according to the vets, and he recently took a turn for the worse. His hind legs started going very weak, sometimes not working, and he started becoming more spaced out/lethargic. We took him to the emergency vet and they said he had fluid in his stomach and chest, along with edema in his paws/legs. They assume the cause of it is either cancer or heart related, but they said they can't tell without a further battery of tests, x-rays, and ekg (the ekg technician won't even be available until at least Monday if we decided to go that route). The vet recommended euthanasia. I'm really torn on this, I knew it was coming but am not ready at all. I don't want him to suffer, but don't want to give up on him either, and of course want as much time with him as possible. If anyone has any experience with this, advice, or any type of support, I would appreciate it more than I can say. Thanks for your time.
I'm so sorry you are going through this, with your Smokey, Smokeyblue Smokeyblue . :alright:

I don't really have any first hand experience like you or Jem Jem does with cats that have made it to such an age.
(My rainbow cat who had both ckd and hcm only made it to 15.5 years, but was diagnosed at 14).

I also don't really know if the Vets could give your Smokey anything that would drain the fluid in his chest and stomach.
Since if they were to give him some kind of diuretic, it would probably affect his kidneys, which you said are in end stage now.

The only thing the Vets could possibly do, is give you some painkillers for Smokey, but even those would affect your Smokey's lethargy, and cause him to be even more spaced out, or sleepy.

Did you ask the Vets, if you took Smokey home, would he make it until Monday,...and would he be in tremendous pain.
Since you wouldn't want any pain for him, but still don't feel ready to let him go...then it's really hard.
(with my rainbow cat, I think the Vet did give me buprenorphine, and sub q fluids, but only because I had asked, and it was to buy a few days. She told me that with heart failure, she would be afraid of causing my cat to go into cardiac arrest, but I also was not ready to let him go, on that particular day, because of waiting for blood results, and he was still eating.)

It's so hard for you though, since if Smokey's back legs are not working, then walking around to even get to the litter box or water dish, would be difficult for him.
I don't really think you are giving up on Smokey, though, since you gave him an amazing life.

In the larger scheme of his entire life, if you focus on all the good days, and not these end ones, or painful ones, then it may be easier to say goodbye.
I don't know. It's tremendously hard, either way, since you want as much time with him,...but don't want that time to be filled with pain for him.
That's the part where it should be easier for us to make the choice, to reduce our beautiful cat companion's suffering, but we get stuck and feel robbed of not having more time.
Grief is like that.
It begins even before we say goodbye.

Just tell Smokey everything you want him to know, everything he's done, and meant for you...even though he already knows this.

I will be sending you Strength and Peace for any decisions and days ahead. :vibes::vibes::tabbycat: :grouphug::grouphug::hugs:
Would love to see a photo of your Smokey, but right now, you're probably needing all the time to be with him.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your Smokey doing, Smokeyblue Smokeyblue ?
Is he still here in body, or did you have to let him go?
(Spiritually, he will forever be with you. I think that any cats we have the honour to share our lives with, no matter how long or short, are always going to be somehow connected to us. Every cat's life has meaning, which another wise member on this site, had said.
We learn so much from our cats, too.)

And how are you doing?
Sending you Strength.:vibes::vibes::hugs::grouphug: :hugs: :heartshape: :bluepaw::greenpaw:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smokeyblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Jem Jem and cat nap cat nap . Your words of advice, compassion and experience helped. We said goodbye to him today through an at-home provider. I'm overwhelmed with grief right now but I'm thankful that he is at peace.
-bal4ff.jpg

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Jem Jem and cat nap cat nap . Your words of advice, compassion and experience helped. We said goodbye to him today through an at-home provider. I'm overwhelmed with grief right now but I'm thankful that he is at peace. View attachment 412485
Condolences to you Smokeyblue Smokeyblue ...on having to let your Smokey go.:alright:
Your Smokey is gorgeous. thank you for posting his photo.:touched:

To think that you had close to two decades with your Smokey,...just goes to show the tremendous Love and Care, and perhaps it also shows his good genetics and strength. Whatever you both did, it was amazing. ❤
(I still sometimes can't believe that I had 15.5 years with my previous cat. The Time goes so fast, and seems never enough.)

What helped me, when I lost a young cat years ago, which brought me to this Cat Site...was reading this first post by Gareth:
When the moment comes...
(I printed it out, and placed it near my computer, to be able to read it over sometimes.)

There are also some more posts, poems or threads that may help a bit.
They are contained in the sticky, at the top of the 'Crossing The Bridge' forum:
Thoughts For Grieving Cat Lovers

May you Run Like the Wind, Beautiful Smokey. :rbheart: :bluepaw::bluepaw:
And come back every once in awhile to look in on your cat guardians, to make sure they are doing okay. 💞
May your Grief lessen with Time, Smokeyblue Smokeyblue .:alright: :hugs::grouphug: :hugs:
I hope that only the beautiful and happy memories take over, and fill your days. :rbheart::hugs:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your boy. He is beautiful, what a lovely photo of him, thank you.
I can't think of anything else to add that has not been said. Just know that I'm sending you my heartfelt condolences and hope you are at peace with your decision...As hard as it is, you did right by Smokey and I know he is thankful for all the wonderful years he had with you. :hugs: :angel:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the site team, I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs: Threads are closed after such a loss as a sign of respect. When you feel up to it please consider starting a memorial thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace, Smokey. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.