Chicken Organs

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A woman at the farmer's market butchers her own chickens.  She saved me about one to two pounds of chicken organs:  if it's inside a chicken, I have it.  So that includes the ovaries, kidneys, lungs, trachea, crawl, spleen, etc.  I've searched online for a description of internal organs of a chicken.  I can identify -- and separate out -- the kidney and liver, but can't determine what the other organs are and, more importantly, how to treat the other organs when calculating how much to feed Ritz:  secreting?  non-secreting?  treats?  Just assume 1/2 and 1/2 of secreting/non secreting and calculate from there.  FWIW, I feed almost the same percentage of liver and secreting (kidney) organs.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's cool! Some different organ meats. I'm not sure how to identify everything. Google pictures? This is the list I have of secreting vs.non.

Secreting organs include liver, kidney, pancreas, spleen, brain, thymus, thyroid, and testes.

Non-secreting organs include heart, lung, gizzard and tripe.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I'd just assume it's 50/50 and go from there. :lol3: It's all good for her. I was just reading about how the trachea is full of glucosamine & chrondroitin :nod: Wow - that's fabulous. :clap: :clap: :clap:

We should get out and chat with the farmers selling meat at the farmer's market. We tried last year, but didn't find anyone willing to sell the organs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. I'll assume 50/50 and go from there, that's the ratio I use for liver and non-secreting organs.

So, would tripe and the lungs be considered meat?  I know tripe is a protein (Ritz loves it, BTW).  I think I can identify the lung (really tiny), but the other organs were all mushed together, and even with a picture I googled, I couldn't identify most of the organs.

Though I suspect Ritz doesn't really care.  Though I did come home to some spit up of the dreges from the bag of organs.  She got her liquid quota for the week!

Interestingly, in Maryland at least, the woman can't legally SELL me these organs unusual organs; she can sell hearts, livers, gizzards, feet and heads.  So I buy some hearts or gizzards and through in an extra buck or two.