Chicken neck alternatives and chlorinated chickens...

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We moved to another country where organic chicken meats are unavailable, let alone chicken necks....
I really want to give them necks for their dental health and my kitties love them for a snack.

I will brush their teeth more often, but are there any alternatives to necks that would help with their dental health?
I guess winglets will work, albeit a little meaty? A few years ago the vet recommended trying wings instead of necks because the necks are mostly bones, but kitties weren't very keen on the wings for some reason.

I can get chicken necks here but they are chlorinated (sodium hypochlorite) and non-organic, so am not sure.... chlorinated chickens can't be good for them.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Sodium hypochlorite? I think that’s a disinfecting agent so I definitely wouldn’t give my cat anything with that in it!

If you can find wings that don’t have additives, those should be an ok substitute for necks…if your kitties will go for them.

• Purraise
Reactions: F+V

Tuckamukk3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
According to a quick Google search sodium hypochlorite is bleach - yikes! I can't imagine why they're bleaching chicken necks.
Btw, chicken feet would be good too if you can find those.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know.... I was surprised to find out vegetables and meats are cleansed with bleach here... never thought about feeding chicken feet but would be interesting :)

Tuckamukk3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would just make sure they are not also treated with something. But yes, they are a great source of edible bone (60% bone according to every chart I've come across). Nice and sinewy too for added chewing benefit.