Chicken livers

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some fresh chicken liver Fri. night and noticed today they had turned green. Is this normal? How long can the livers stay fresh? Should I freeze them?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hunh. I've never had liver turn green. I think the green sheen means they've gone bad. Do they smell sour?

What's the "good until" date on them? You might want to get your money back from the supermarket if you still have the receipt if they're still within the date. :nod:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do they smell? Is it pure green or just an iridescent shine? There was a green bit attached to a liver in a tub I bought. . .I dunno what it was. . .gall bladder maybe? Anyway, eww.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was just green, no shine. I threw it out. I don't remember the freshness date for sure, but I think it was 10/24. I found a few other internet references with the same question, so I guess it happens quite commonly. Most people threw it out, but there were a couple people who said it was just oxidization, but the green parts should be avoided because they're really bitter. A few other people said nothing was wrong and that if the liver does go bad, "You'll know it..."

Well, I found it thoroughly disgusting, so I went down to the pet store and got freeze-dried liver. Poppy seems to think it's a nice treat, so I'll be using that. Before I went I looked up how to figure out how much freeze-dried liver equals a given amount of wet liver. And guess what? I found an old post from this forum!

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/247129/feeding-dried-liver-in-place-of-fresh

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep! I'm working on figuring out how to feed some of my kitties fresh liver and kidney, but in the meantime, I'm using freeze dried for a couple of them. They love THAT. :lol3:

And yep, mschauer's post in that thread is really helpful!