Chicken Broth

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Is chicken broth ok for cats? As I was reading through the site just now, Oliver jumped on the desk and asked to sample the broth left in my bowl from the Campbells chicken soup I just had so I let him have a few laps outa the bowl and he apparently liked it... he didn't drink an excessive amount and I can't really come up with a reason it'd be bad for him, but figured I'd check anyhow....

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Is chicken broth ok for cats? As I was reading through the site just now, Oliver jumped on the desk and asked to sample the broth left in my bowl from the Campbells chicken soup I just had so I let him have a few laps outa the bowl and he apparently liked it... he didn't drink an excessive amount and I can't really come up with a reason it'd be bad for him, but figured I'd check anyhow....
I guess the only thing that might concern me is if he had too much as I find they tend to oversalt those things.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I guess the only thing that might concern me is if he had too much as I find they tend to oversalt those things.
:yeah; and the presvatives..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I don't like plan on giving it to him a lot or a large amount (I dont even eat it all that often) just wanted to make sure it wasnt like a HUGE mistake... like I said, he only had a few licks really... thanks!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little bit is definitely not going to hurt him. The sodium is not the best thing for him but as long as he is healthy he would have to drink quite a bit for that to have any effect.

mrspotts66

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i would also be concerned about onion powder in the broth (for flavoring).
just a thought!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrspotts66

i would also be concerned about onion powder in the broth (for flavoring).
just a thought!
I agree that would be my main concern. You'll want to be sure the ingredients list no onion or garlic, as these are dangerous for kitties.

miyas_mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In order to prevent her from eating up my chicken noodle soup, I give my cat a very small bowl of it (Equivalent to two tablespoons) every once in a while. I was concerned with the sodium.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miyas_mom

In order to prevent her from eating up my chicken noodle soup, I give my cat a very small bowl of it (Equivalent to two tablespoons) every once in a while. I was concerned with the sodium.
Yeah I'm sure he didn't get any more than two tablespoons, if that much - that's why I wasn't extremely worried, but thought I'd ask anyway... and I don't mind him sharing right from my bowl! tee hee everything tastes better with pet hair in it, so I don't mind a little spit as well, lol - we're family, so it's ok

izatrini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I have a related question...Whenever my boyfriend and I sit down to eat dinner, Ed is determined to get a sample of whatever we are eating. Usually, once we are done eating, we just set the dishes down and Ed goes to them and takes a few licks off the plates. I don't let her get too much of it, just a little taste. Like the other day I ate some mac and cheese and she was licking the leftover cheese off my plate.

That's ok, right?

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet actually told me to give some chicken broth (I didn't get Cambells though) with no salt to Summer before bringing her in to get tested for a UTI, so that they could get enough fluids for the test. Cats in general don't drink a lot, and they told me to give it to her before we came so that they wouldn't have to inject fluids in her to do the test. Thankfully it worked!!!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by izatrini

I guess I have a related question...Whenever my boyfriend and I sit down to eat dinner, Ed is determined to get a sample of whatever we are eating. Usually, once we are done eating, we just set the dishes down and Ed goes to them and takes a few licks off the plates. I don't let her get too much of it, just a little taste. Like the other day I ate some mac and cheese and she was licking the leftover cheese off my plate.

That's ok, right?
I personally wouldn't continue that habit.... Oliver will ask (by putting a paw on the edge of my plate) if he's interested in something, but I only give him a taste if it's something that I know is ok for him, like unseasoned chicken and beef... most cats are lactose intolerant as well so too much dairy will not be good for them - occasionally Oliver gets lactaid as a treat or one or two licks (only one or two!) from my cereal bowl milk...