change in behavior since vet visit

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Simon had a blockage and spent four days in the animal hospital. I brought him home last Tuesday. Since he got home, my other cat, Max, has been acting differently toward him. Max seems wary of Simon. They don't play as much and Max seems to be avoiding him.

Any ideas why this would happen? Could Simon still smell sick to Max? (Simon seems to be back to normal as far as I can tell.) Is there any other reason anyone can think of? It's been a week so I certainly don't think Simon could still smell like the vet's office.

This has been puzzling me

Thanks!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cheryl,

This is actually common. Simon smells different now- not only smelling off because of stress and being sick, but also the stress pheremones from all his cage mates are with him as well. You can take vanilla extract and put a little under their chins, between their shoulder blades and at the base of their tails to neutralize their scent.You will have to do this 3 times a day for a few days before things will get back to normal. I am glad Simon is home and doing okay- blockages can be nasty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't think Simon could still smell "funny" to Max after a week of being home, but I put vanilla on each of them this morning and will do it again when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the info. I hope it works! They were such good buddies, it's sad to lose that!

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I brought Frantic home after just a vet visit, Pipsqueek attacked him and chased him under the bed and proceeded to beat the heck out of him till I separated them! The vet suggested rubbing Frantic with a towel all over and then rubbing it all over Pipsqueek. I had to isolate them for a few days.