cats noses

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why do cats have shorter noses than other cats. I realized that my cat (named Tabby) has a shorter nose than her son (buddy). Even though he is younger (still a kitten) I can already tell that they have way total different lengths when it comes to their noses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't believe that the baby didn't get any of his moms genes when it comes to looks

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I looked up pics of calicos (my girl Tabby is calico) and all have short noses. I noticed something was different from the other cats I have had in the past and I couldn't put my fingur on it till she had buddy (orange tiger stripped kitten with that m on his head (can't remember what they are called when they have the m)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked up pics of calicos (my girl Tabby is calico) and all have short noses. I noticed something was different from the other cats I have had in the past and I couldn't put my fingur on it till she had buddy (orange tiger stripped kitten with that m on his head (can't remember what they are called when they have the m)
 Calico is just a kind of color pattern,  it really would not influence the nose length so I think it's just a coincidence in the photos you've seen.    There are some cats with a calico coat who have short noses and some who have long noses.    Nose length would be inherited separately from the color,  and it's not from one single gene but a combination of multiple unidentified genes that influence the length of the nose.  

One would not expect 2 Persians to have a kitten with a very long nose,  since they would come from long lines of cats with short noses.    and you wouldn't expect 2 Orientals to have a kitten with a very short nose.   But when it is random-bred cats there can be more variation.    Maybe Buddy's father or a grandparent had a longer nose?

When they have the M it just means they are cats with some kind of tabby pattern.  There is not a different name for  pattern and it doesn't have anything to do with a cat's breed .  Just about all cats with a tabby pattern have some version of that shape of marking on their forehead,  though of course there's variation and in some cats  it more distinctly looks like a capital letter M.   

The more "official" name of Buddy's color / pattern would be Red Mackerel Tabby.   :) 

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't care what buddy or tabby is they. Are my babies and I would love theem nomatter what cause of their personality. :)

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't care what buddy or tabby is they. Are my babies and I would love theem nomatter what cause of their personality.
  and that's how it should be!      The pattern and colors are interesting and beautiful but what's most important is personality and that they are loved! 

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea well why did Tabby just pee/spray me.

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nevermind I just remembered that she is in heat