Cats Fighting

carson meyers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat named Lucky that i have had since she was a kitten and someone dropped her off in a parking lot. We brought Lucky home and she was so sweet and lovable. about a year later she had kittens and we kept one kitten named frank, and a little more than a year after lucky had kittens, we woke up one morning and it was still a little dark outside but we kept hearing a cat meowing but it wasn't our cats. A little bit later we saw this little orange kitten about 40-50 ft up a tree and looked stuck.

Hours after the cat finally got down somehow and when i walked up to the cat it ran so i followed it around the house, eventually i got close enough to the cat to grab him and he clawed and scratched me up bad, so i went and got gloves and a cage and got the cat in the cage and gave him food and water. After a couple hours i let him go and he ran in the woods somewhere.A couple days later i saw him around the house but i still could not get close to him.

As it started getting colder outside i noticed he had been living in our garage under some junk in there. I then would every night go outside and give the cat some canned food because he was still a kitten. I then sat out in the garage every night for weeks with a heater next to me and a plate of food and i eventually i was able to hold the cat and pet the cat without him running and hiding and i named him Hank. I then brought the cat inside the house to let him get used to me, and he would still go out when he wanted and he would play with frank and they loved each other.

One night i heard two cats fighting and i go outside and lucky and hank were fighting and lucky was not going to stop and i knew it would be bad if i didn't stop them, so after stopping them i brought hank inside. Couple days go by and we kept hank inside and he became attached to me, he would follow me around would rub up against me and would not leave me alone. And every time lucky got the chance she would run inside, find hank and start fighting and lucky had the upper hand.

It is now almost four months later and lucky hates hank and i honestly am scared for hank because i feel if they got locked in a room only one would come back out and i don't want that to happen, and i don't want to find a new home for either of them because i love them both.I wish i could just get them to like each other or at least get along, and i need help.

If you have any suggestions please let me know, any kind of help at all would be appreciated greatly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carson meyers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd get Hank neutered.. It will help curb the aggression for sure.
and if i did get hank neutered is there a certain way i should get the cats used to each other? and is it normal for a female cat that is neutered(Lucky) to spray

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I am no cat expert but will share my experience and thoughts.

I have four cats at home and one of them is territorial and will spray. All my cats are spayed and neutered. Of the four cats I have two of them are rescued feral cats I used to have at work. When I first started coming home from work smelling like the work cats my cat Taz would spray. After a while he stopped. A cat may spray if it is stressed out. A cat may also spray around the house if it is not happy with the litter arrangements. If you have them sharing a litter Lucky might not like that. It could be the litter is not cleaned often enough for her or if you changed the type of litter (different scent). There are several reason Lucky might spray but it sounds like she is marking territory or is stressed out.

As for the cats getting used to each other. I would start with getting Hank neutered and after that try to keep them apart because the affects of the neutering doesn't kick in right away. Seeing Hank is the new comer you should keep him in a room for a couple weeks, if you have a room that you can keep him isolated in. Give him some time to recover and relax inside. It needs to be a safe room with nothing for him to break, electrical cords to chew, etc. After that you slowly re-introduce the cats. How slow depends on the most stressed out cat. If Lucky seems the most stressed you work at her pace.

The following is a good article for introducing cats. Take your time, these kitties have their whole lives ahead of them so no need to rush it. Be patient and don't let it stress you out.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The male definitely needs to be neutered. Even then, it may still take a couple months for his testosterone levels to diminish.