Cats are so freakin' strange!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first started feeding raw everyone kept telling me rabbit was the meat that cats are most likely to like. Well, none of mine would even consider eating rabbit. No amount of doctoring or disguising worked in getting them to do more than sniff and walk away.

In recognition of kitty fickleness I've had the habit of periodically trying again to get them to eat foods (not just raw) that that I want them to eat but which they previously rejected. I've had rabbit in the freezer for some time and have tried several times to get them to eat some but no go. Well recently I put some down and Coco scarfed it up. Jeta and Zara hesitated but then they scarfed it up. Now rabbit is one of their favorites.

How do they suddenly go from "Yuck, I won't even consider eating that!" to "Oh, now I remember! I actually love this stuff!". And not just one of them but all 3 at the same time!

Of course Coco was pretty much like that about raw in general. For the longest time she would only nibble at it. Then she suddenly decided she loved it!

Cats!

BTW - Somehow all this time I have somehow managed to overlook how freaking expensive rabbit is!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your cats are not strange... there is a very easy reason for not likely rabbit... It is far too cooling ... I only used rabbit with a cat with a HOT issue , the others looked at me like yours did( only I had two species

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

How funny, Mschauer! I'm like you - keep offering whatever it is you want them to eat and eventually, one day they'll just wake up and say, "hey, I like this stuff!"

Cats actually have a biological imperative to eat a variety of products, according to this study: The Evolutionary Basis for the Feeding Behavior of Domestic Dogs & Cats. Interesting reading!
I agree to a small pt ... some will go wow I like this but most will not ...

Article is interesting but if read carefully one would figure that dna changes have been made and the wild or natural feeding would not be a big consideration... Of course it is a Waltham done...

I have learned to much about eastern / oriental/ Chinese medicine to not consider the type and function of meats of different species...

I would likely mix rabbit with lamb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are in serious need of a chill pill...

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's how mine actually started eating raw

Alaska (I think) was the daring one who thought she should try a bite of the raw chicken I gave them. None of them looked at it until she ate some and made everyone else jealous!

I also wish rabbit weren't so horribly expensive, I've only fed it once as a treat. Everyone loved it!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

You guys are in serious need of a chill pill...
Not sure what you're talking about, Mschauer, but I do believe I'm offended. If you don't want a variety of viewpoints, why post? Not to mention, don't you think it's rather rude to criticize folks who took the time to respond to your thread?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

...I also wish rabbit weren't so horribly expensive, I've only fed it once as a treat. Everyone loved it!
Yeah, the expense of rabbit is why I haven't picked any up for my furkids.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Not sure what you're talking about, Mschauer, but I do believe I'm offended. If you don't want a variety of viewpoints, why post? Not to mention, don't you think it's rather rude to criticize folks who took the time to respond to your thread?
No offense intended. I just thought you guys were taking what was meant as a light hearted topic a bit too seriously. But you are quite right my implied criticism was inappropriate.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

No offense intended. I just thought you guys were taking what was meant as a light hearted topic a bit too seriously. But you are quite right my implied criticism was inappropriate.
<<<Hugs>>>

It's forgotten.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
from here too ... I also took it a bit off

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Auntie and Sharky! I guess I'm the one who needs to chill!