Cats and windows

teffey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I live in a flat on the 5 the floor. I have big windows, and Ozzy loves looking out them. I'd love for him to be able to sit and smell all the lovely and interesting smells of spring, and I am trying to figure out how to make it safe for him. At the moment I only hold him when I open the windows and let him see things safely in my arms. It's also complicated to get some air into the flat, a bit of juggling around required! but I'd mostly love it if he could enjoy the view and smells safely.
The problem is, I know some cats are fine with windows and never fall off, I've had 2 like that. But Ozzy is only almost 6 months old, and I am so worried! I don't know what would be best, I don't even know if I am alllowed to but a little wire fence up or not.

Anyway, thank you for any advice you may have!

teffey

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you look into getting secure screening for the windows?

Cats have excellent balance, but they fall from windows and balconies often enough for that type of accident to have its own term: 'high-rise syndrome'. Please don't risk letting him near an open window without secure window coverings. If pets are allowed in your building, ask your property manager about what kind of window coverings might be allowed. Make sure that if you install a window guard or screen, that it is secure enough that the cat won't be able to knock it out by jumping on it, and that any openings are too small for the cat to fit his head through.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This has brought back horrible memories!.

Rosie was only 6 wks old when i got her, and i decided then that she was going to be an indoor cat.

Then when she was 2-3 months old, the following happened!.

Getting dressed for work, i shouted out to her, but could'nt find her?.

Then to my horror, as i walked in to the bedroom, there she was on sill of the other side of the open window, aprrox 30' from the ground!!.

I screamed to my boyfriend(at the time), who went dashing outside with a ladder, but i stood on the sill, threw my top half out the window, and just yanked her up by her neck!.

I was shaking, and started sobbing like a baby as if i'd lost her, but it gave me such a fright.

I now make sure all door are shut if any windows are open with Rosie around!.

Susan

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Teffey, it doesn't say where you are located. I live in Germany, where screens aren't the norm, and I have "cat nets" securing the windows and balcony.
If you click on "JC's Photos" below, there are some pictures of the nets in a window and on our balcony. A lot of people use fishing nets, too.