cats and ceiling fans

kcowan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just figured out that ceiling fans scare cats. It's a helicopter on the ceiling.
Why no problem with ground-level fans?

julya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha. Don't know, but I can see why some cats might be scared of it. Bert and Ernie are fascinated by ceiling fans though. They sit on my bed and just watch it go 'round and 'round.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my two were kittens, the ceiling fan was an area of fascination and extreme interest. They would leap and bound upwards trying to catch it ... ROFL ... like a couple of Mexican Jumping Beans! Lexus will still try for it occassionally - but now she gets to the highest elevation in the house and tries to fly for it. *sigh* She actually made it once - good thing the darn fan wasn't in use at the time. Lex gives me chest pain on a daily basis.

~gf~

G

ghostuser

L.S. freaked an flew out of the kitchen when I turned the ceiling fan on accidentally this winter. He's always been really skittish, so I'm hoping he'll get used to it, or it's going to be a really long hot summer in this house. (He's fine with the vacuum cleaner, though.)

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Four of my five have no problems with ceiling fans, and Lion didn't have problems with the ceiling fan in our former residence. The ceiling fans in the bedroom and the den, however, bother him when they are off. When they are on he is fine, but when they are off, he will be walking through the area, look up, see the fan, then get frightened and skulk low to the ground trying to get away as soon as he can, and will keep glancing back at it nervously until he is under something. According to a friend of mine who is an animal communicator, the fans -which are the same colour as the ceiling - throw shadows on the ceiling and their arms look like outstretched wings of birds of prey. It is an instinctual fear of predators in the sky. I have to keep reminding him it is only a machine to make the wind blow inside.

Kathryn

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Julya

Haha. Don't know, but I can see why some cats might be scared of it. Bert and Ernie are fascinated by ceiling fans though. They sit on my bed and just watch it go 'round and 'round.
This explains Billy just right! CJ just doesn't care, but Billy will sit on the coffe table or ironing board and watch it go 'round and round'! When we catch him watching it, he he he, we turn the fan off so he'll watch it more, and then just when it slows to where he looses some interest, (and I'm sure to where his neck hurts!) we'll turn it back on, and the process continues!

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The apartment I am in now is the first one with a ceiling fan. I haven't turned it on yet, so I don't know how my cats will act.