Cat Won't Stop Crying At Night - Have Tried Everything I Can Think Of

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

This is my first time writing on this cat forum - I apologized if I'm writing in the wrong spot...

However, could I get some advice with this cat behavior issue i'm having?

I adopted two young kittens (boys litter-mates) in early November. Now, they are just over 6 months old. My husband does not want them sleeping with us in the bedroom. So, I've accepted that. In November we didn't have any problems... only that sometimes around 4-5-6am one of the cats, Spartacus, would meow. We weren't concerned... it was only occasional and we assumed he was just anticipating us waking up.

Over the winter holidays, I went home to visit my parents - My husband stayed with the cats, he had to work. After I got back the crying started to increase a lot. Husband says it wasn't happening while I was gone.

Basically, Spartacus is now starting to meow sometimes earlier than 3am. And it is LOUD and consistent. It's becomes the meeeee-ow, , kind of low-pitched, I'm sad, tone of voice. He'll stop for maybe 20-30 minutes and begin all over again.

We do not respond to the meowing.
We don't talk at the door, or throw pillows, etc - no reactions at all.
Neither of us gets up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
I also make sure not to feed them immediately after waking up... I usually wait 45-50 mins before feeding.

My husband does wake up usually at 5am for work (mon-fri) and this usually stops the meowing. Even though I am the one that feeds them... closer to 8:00am.... so.. I don't think it's about food??

Any advice?

My husband really doesn't want to open the door... but I'm thinking that might be our only option....
The cat is healthy, we were at the vet last week. He eats, plays, and drinks water fine. He is very vocal... goes around trilling all the time, meows for more pets when he is being pet. He'll go to one side of the apartment sometimes and trill... sometimes he just walks around and meows/trills... His brother isn't like this... it's just him.

Also (in case it helps) -He sometimes meows at the ceiling...? It's an old row-house, the upstairs neighbor and downstairs have cats.... I also am aware that there have been squirrels in the attic. (i'm on level 2, out of 3). And I see a lot of cats in the neighborhood and the neighbors backyards... wondering if this could also potentially be something causing the behavior?

I'm just wondering what we could do... It's tiring and we need sleep.

Any advice is helpful!
Thank you so much for reading!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, I would like to wish you a warm welcome to TCS! :hellosmiley: Second, I think you have a good point regarding both the upstairs and downstairs neighbors having cats as well as squirrels living in the attic - good grief! There are some excellent Articles about cat behavior and I have highlighted two for you to check out:
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night?
Cats And Night Crazies!

Since your cats are still in the kitten stage they are very playful and it may well be the one boy wants your attention. Would your husband be willing to experiment even one or two days by letting the cats in your bedroom at night? At least this would help you solve the problem one way or another. There's nothing more comforting than a happy, content kitty purring in your ear at night. :cloud9: Best of luck, please feel free to post a pic or two of your male littermates here along with their names: Fur Pictures and Videos Only!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response Neely! And for the welcoming greeting :)

I checked out the articles you sent - they have great advice in there. It's funny though, cause I make a point of playing with them every evening and then feeding them right before bed. So, I've got that routine set, but maybe like you said they're just still very hyper kittens; and in addition with the other animals around that could be causing hyper activity... hmm... it's hard to tire them out when they've got so much energy.

I definitely think the "whiny baby" gets bored often... they have a cat tree, nice windows, toys, and I play interactively with them, usually once in the evening and then once before bed (20-30 minutes each time).. and in addition he's got his brother he plays with too, but ahh still he gets bored.

My husband did say he'll experiment with the door open! phew ;) I think we'll try that, I hope it works! ... I would love for them to sleep with us!

Also - what do you think of this? .. I got the cats from a TNR group, they were being fostered, not sheltered. They were taken from mom at 3 weeks old and then were bottled fed. I've read bottle fed kittens can be needy? they weren't 100% bottle fed, but were definitely without mom too early...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine were bottle raised from 10 days old. One is pretty needy. The other does cuddle, but on her terms only. And she's a terror. I've also bottle fed many of my kittens that I've had over the years.
I don't think bottle babies are inherently needy. It's just the way some cats are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, good to know. thank you!